We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a tour guide necessary?

uk
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Is a tour guide necessary?

Hi - visiting Cairo in April 8-11th with 2 children.

I'm getting so confused as to whether or not i should use a guide. It's our 1st trip to Cairo and we have 2 children( 9 & 5) with us.

Want to see the pyramids at Giza, the Sphinx and the Egyptian Museum, and got to the markets..

Any help, gratefully received

Luxor
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Hi Gamma,

Yes the tour guide necessary for the 1st trip to Cairo and you have 2 children (9 and 5) with you.

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Necessary? No!

Good idea? Yes!

Getting yourself and your children around without any experience or knowledge of Cairo would be a challenge. It would certainly be possible but a great deal easier to have a guide with transport to take all of the hassle off of your shoulders.

cairo
Level Contributor
483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Use a guide, i think it will be much easier if you hire a guide specially bcz you have children...you can read many forum posts in Cairo forum about the same situation as yours..some told it can be done it without a guide, and some told a guide is needed....

Any way in case you decide to hire a guide, here is the list of recommended guides

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c85398/Cairo:…

uk
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Thanks both. Oldbie - have you used one in the past that you are happy to pass details on for? and are they on the recommended list?

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

A tour guide will maximize your time in Egypt, help make sure you stay safe, and will add a ton of information that you will not get by yourself. I would highly recommend Debbie Senters, we used Debbie a couple of years ago and really enjoyed her tour. Debbie can also set you up with an Egyptologist which is extremely valuable while going through the museum in Cairo. You can find Debbie at www.casualcairo.com. For more info on our trip to Egypt go to my travel blog at www.mggreen.wordpress.com.

UK
Level Contributor
578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Hi gamma, we used Nibal Gouda of www.egyptguest.com, she was a very nice person, helpful and did absolutely what we asked ... no shopping we didn't want, no hassle, friendly and most importantly made it a good day for us.

Edited: 11:56 am, March 12, 2010
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,796 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

The others have said it - NO!

However, for a 1st timer in Egypt, on a tight schedule, they are useful.

We use our normal travel company to get us around Egypt and book Travel COMPANIES locally to give us tours to where we want (Not always the well-worn standard places nowadays since we have the videos already)

That gets us a car, driver & a 'guide' Most are told there function is purely to get us into something and then they can go off and have a cuppa or cigarette. If they come with us, they don't/can't go into everything (Tombs for instance) anyway, so their role is purely to answer questions when asked. They are also clearly told NO Papyrus/Perfume/Alabaster establishments.

But we have been to Egypt more than 10 times.

For the 1st timer it is a different case - you want to 'see everything' with the least amount of hassle.

Most hotels will organise a car and driver for you the morning after you arrive (And a guide if requested) - There is no need to book ahead, re-assuring though it may be, and pay the inflated prices for doing so.

But, having used one, we give them and the driver, a fairly decent tip!

Edited: 1:28 pm, March 12, 2010
NE UK
Level Contributor
612 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

Hi. I have visited Cairo many times, the first time as part of a package tour so the guide was included. Since then, I have never had a guide. However, since it is your first visit and you have young children I would say get a guide. I would also get a guide book, Lonely Planet, Rough Guide or similar, which have good maps, and involve the children in working out your visits. I took my grandchildren some years ago, and we had great fun. I envy you doing it for the first time, it's a great experience. Best wishes.

9. Re: Is a tour guide necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 09, 2010