We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel in cairo

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
which hotel in cairo

Hi,

My family of 3 hope to visit Cairo in Dec sround the 18th-21st.Out budget for hotel accomodation is around $100 per night.Could you recommend some hotels within that range ???Also, is it better to book hotels situated within the city or near the Pyramids???We are keen to soak in the sights and sounds of this fabulous city.

Thanks

Mimi

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel in cairo

Hotel prices will really depend on what deals you can get. Your target time is really busy season just before Xmas.

Hotels situated near the Pyramids would recommend hotels away from the hussle and bussle of the city... with lots of open space (gardens / pools etc...). I would highly recommend the Mena House Oberoi Hotel (with a splendid view of the Pyramids). Less expensive, and in the same area / fulfilling the same criteria would be the Oasis Hotel and the Cataract Pyramids Hotel.

More central would be hotels such as the Marriott and Ramses Hilton (check the prices you can get); a less expensive category yet reasonably central would include: Hotel Longchamps and President Hotel in Zamalek... and across the Nile in Giza would be El Nabila Cairo Hotel.

For Cairo, to be close to sites you would either be in central Cairo close to the Egyptian Museum and relatively a shorter ride to the Citadel, Bazzar (khan el khalili ) etc... or elect to be near the Pyramids, Sphinx and relatively a shorter drive to Sakkara etc..

there are plenty of hotels, go through the reviews on this site (left of the screen) and check the deals you can get.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel in cairo

Hi paro,

My wife and I have just spent a week in Cairo and stay at the Oasis Hotel near the Pyramids.

It's a great hotel with gardens and swimmimg pool.

Check it out!!!!!!!!!!! It's only a ten minute ride to the Pyramids and they have a FREE bus into the centre of Cairo, just by the Egyptian Museum.

Word of advice DON'T GO ALONE visiting sites and take great care around the GIZA PYRAMIDS. If possible take a guided tour. It might be an extra expense to add to your budget, but one well worth it!

Carlitos

Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel in cairo

we stayed at the hotel sofitel le sphinx in september 05,i can recommend this hotel. Very clean with good food and some good restaurants nearby. I think it is better to stay out near the pyramids,this hotel overlooks them. The concierge will organise a taxi for you when you want to visit sites, about ten pounds for 3-4 hours.Or book a guide, we used heart of egypt,they were very good. Hope this helps.Richard.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,726 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel in cairo

Simoes,

I was planning on going it alone, may I ask why this is a bad idea?

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel in cairo

phread

My partner and I had a very bad experience in Cairo, We do not recommend visiting tourist sites on your own.The only trouble free day in a week was when we hired a guide for the day (half day actually because of Ramadam every tourist atraction closes earlier than normal)to visit some sites. Most people in Cairo are very poor and they know that tourists are easy prey and you will find at tourist sites locals who come to you with a friendly manner and If they get your attention they will try any means to get as much money as possible out of your wallet by asking to take your picture, or trying to sell crap souvenirs, especially at the Giza Pyramids. Best is to ignore them completley, and just walk by. Ask other tourists to take your picture instead and experience the grandeur of the Pyramids and don't let anyone spoil your day (easy said than done).

If you are asked to show your ticket by anyone claiming they work there PLEASE DON'T.

They will take you around demanding money from you at all times. Avoid the men and they camels. If you want to ride a camel hire one from a good stable.

I strong advise you to hire a guide for the day to visit sites. We recommend you visit www.heartofegypt.com

We hope you enjoy Cairo more than we did.

Watch out for our travel review on this site soon...

6. Re: which hotel in cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:06 pm, November 11, 2005
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel in cairo

We stayed at Le Meridien Pyramids. Can see the pyramids from the hotel. Fantastic pool, helpful friendly staff. Eat at restaurant 2 mins walk to the left (Falfela?), cheap great food.

Hired guide and driver via concierge, whole day visiting pyramids and saqqara - wasn't expensive (well cheaper than tour companies coach trip), guide was very knowledgeable and we learnt a lot more than if we'd been alone.

Marlbank, Ontario
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel in cairo

Mimi,

We stayed at the Zoser - from which you can see the tops of the pyramids - it is listed as a 5* - the overall hotel was nice however we had a room on the outside (closest to road) and I found it almost impossible to sleep without earplugs - and that was several stories up - others in inside rooms did not complain - be warned cairo is noisy, dirty and busy - good advise to not travel alone - I recommend Egypt Magic as a tour company.

Barb

9. Re: which hotel in cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:36 pm, January 14, 2006