We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

We are leaving on the 24th and will spend a total of 7 days in Cairo. Staying at the Ramses Hilton. Any advice on where to go and where to shop would be appreciated. Also, what is the best way to contact someone to show us around some of the sites and maybe take a side trip to Alexandria?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

With 7 days in Cairo, I strongly recommed considering side trips to places such as Alexandria, Luxor etc...

For tours, you can arrange with a local tour company to join daily group tours or for them to take you on individual tours.... I am sure you will find lots of information at your hotel's front desk.

Samples of such tour companies is presented below:

…americanexpress.com/sif/…00.asp

http://www.suneasttours.com/cairo1.htm

For things to do and see in Cairo, you might find the following link of interest to you:

http://lexicorient.com/egypt/cairo.htm

Good Luck

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

Thanks so much for the information. We already have a Nile cruise booked which includes Luxor and Aswan. We are on our own most of the time in Cairo. We like discovering sites on our own but sometimes it is nice to have a local resident give you their point of view and tips on local attractions.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

I fully understand your point of view... however moving around Cairo is not that easy... if you want to avoid the tours then at least hire a limo & driver from the hotel (not that expensive) for half a day or full day at a time... he will take you to your chosen destinations and while there you will be on your own to discover. Avoid taxis or other forms of transportation for your own comfort

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

Thanks for the web site suggestions. I found lots of good information. Will there be any problem getting someone to show us around once we arrive in Cairo?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

you may also want to check this one:

http://www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/

Orange, California
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

I had a great guide Lamia Mahmoud. She is studying for a doctorate in Egyptology. I have posted her name before on this same website. Book her independently, tell her where you want to go and she will arrange everything else. Whenever I travel to countries where security MAY be an issue, I never travel with groups/tours as you can be an obvious target. Lamia will be your on guide for the day, and you can add/deviate from your travel plans as you wish. A much better way to travel than to travel with a group! We booked her for 3 days and she is willing to travel outside of Cairo if you want her to but you must pay her flight/hotel expenses or she can contact someone in the next city for you.

Lamia Gamal Mahmoud (02) 4821270

or Mobile 0127141479. Sorry no email as computers/internet are very expensive there.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

Sfuji:

Internet is expensive in Egypt ? ... do not think so... specially if one can afford a mobile phone and its bills...

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

I'll be there the 25th - 28th....let me know if you find out anything when you get there. Would appreciate it. I'll be staying at the Nile Hilton

Monroe, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

Thanks to a suggestion from the forum we have contacted Debbie of Casual Cairo Detours and have booked three days of tours with her. We meet her on Monday the 26th and begin with a trip to Alexandria. Debbie made some great suggestions for day trips. We are really looking forward to our trip. I'm sure we will enjoy our vacation in Egypt. I will post some information after we return in October.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Everywhere
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving the 24th - what to do in Cairo - help to find a...

I am leaving for Cairo also on the 24th and am traveling alone as a single woman. Does anyone have any advice? Are there certain places I should avoid?