We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Giza is Cairo?

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
How far from Giza is Cairo?

Just looking at somewhere to stay and trying to figure out the best location. I like the idea of being close to the Pyramids however we would want to be able to go out at night and get back easily. How close is Giza to central Cairo? Is transportation easy? Are there trains, metro, buses, taxis we can get between the two and do they go late into the night or do they stop quite early. What approximate costs are associated with the various transportation?

Many thanks,

Laura

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

It is a good idea to know something about the different areas of Cairo / Giza in order to make your choice, therefore I wrote this insider page, hope it will give you a bit of an idea :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c85757/Cairo:…

Traffic is a huge problem in Cairo - and being stuck in it can be very exhausting. Everything runs till late in Egypt, and shops are open till lage too, taxis are easily available and are quite cheap. To know more about taxi's have a look at this link :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s304/Cairo:Eg…

Regards

Wendy

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
2. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

Hi Laura

I prefere you to stay in Cairo in the middle of Ciaro, its easy to take any transportation from there to the whole towns

Ofcoarse its beautiful to stay beside the pyramids, but that will cost you alot everyday to return back to Giza

There is metro from Cairo to Giza, the last time for it is 12:30 a.m

But i recommend a hotel in Cairo as you will be beside everything

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

The distance from central Cairo to the Giza Plateau is about 9 or 10 miles. In heavy traffic it can take 45 minutes. I like staying in Giza. I have stayed at both the Mena House Oberoi(literally next door to The Pyramids)& LeMeridien Pyramids. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend the Palace section of Mena House. Otherwise the Garden section or LeMeridien are both fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
429 reviews
4. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

I agree with Mohamed- stay in central Cairo. A hotel by the pyramids is great but that's all there is there. For all other sightseeing you'll want to go to Cairo centre everyday.

I would definitely NOT recommend the metro between Giza and Cairo though- it's horrid- take a taxi for about 30-40LE

5. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:12 am, January 30, 2009
Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
6. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

Hi Rasha

I think its better for any tourist to stay in the center of Cairo, it will be easy for them to catch any transportation to everywhere, they also can walk to the Egyptian Museum easily

Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
720 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

One of the hotels my friends and I will be considering staying at, is Havana Hotel. It's located in the Mohandesseen area. Is that area pretty accessible?

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
8. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

Hi Cool.

Mohandesen is one of the best places in Cairo, i like to go there to go shopping, there are lots of beautiful streets in this area

But its a little bit far from Cairo center that why you wont find tourists staying there alot

Regards,

Aswan, Egypt
Level Contributor
361 posts
9. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

Sorry in Giza not in Cairo

I think i should go to sleep now, its 2:20 a.m now in Egypt..LOL

10. Re: How far from Giza is Cairo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 18, 2009