We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is open on public holidays e.g. Coptic Christmas?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
What is open on public holidays e.g. Coptic Christmas?

Hello everyone,

Will any shops, tourist attractions, trains, the ferry, taxis etc be open and running on Coptic Christmas?

Thanks!

Lu

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: What is open on public holidays e.g. Coptic Christmas?

In Egypt any public holidys do not affect the the touristic sights, they are always open, as tourism is the main industry of Egypt.

Some shops will closed, but only the ones owned by Coptic Christians. In my work we are having the 7th of January (Coptic Christmas) as a day off, but this only applies to people working in companies and of course Schools will be closed too. The government made the 7th of January an official holiday about 2 years ago (as far as I can remember), you will find it just like any other day, but the traffic might be slightly lighter.

Copts make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population.

Regards

Wendy

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: What is open on public holidays e.g. Coptic Christmas?

Wendy,

Thank you so much, that is very helpful indeed! Just what I was hoping to hear.

Lu

3. Re: What is open on public holidays e.g. Coptic Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 11, 2009