We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day or two?

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
One day or two?

I am doing a 22 day tour of Egypt at the end of the year. At the moment I'm deciding on staying in Cairo for one day or two, but still haven't decided beacuse I have no idea what to do here. I haven't done a huge amount of research, but I have to book my flights asap. I'm already seeing the Museum (a full day) at the beginning of the tour, so I'm wondering how much more time I need to see things in Cairo. The tour also goes through the main feel of the city for one day, like going through the Bazaars.

If anyone could provide some "must sees" here, could you please let me know!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day or two?

Hello pinky:

well one day in Cairo is not that much to see Cairo actually and i don't know if you would need that much time in the museum well it depends mostly on you...

well as a tour guide all over Egypt I'd recommend these sites:

1. the pyramids in Giza...

2. old Cairo( to see the oldest churches dating from 3Rd C.AD and the old city itself...

3. the citadel of Saladin and the mosque of Mohamed Ali.

4. and more pyramids are at Sakkara west of the Giza pyramids( the first pyramid here is the step pyramid built totally of limestones about 4600 years old..

well if you need any more details please feel free to contact me on line at : emo_ayman2003@yahoo.com

or email me at: emomino123@netscape.net

and take a look at my web page for more details:

www.egyptguide.4t.com

thanks

Ayman

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
2. Re: One day or two?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 23, 2005
London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day or two?

Thanks for all your suggestions. They were a great help!

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day or two?

I my humble opinion you will need the full two days..I had three days in Cairo last October and wished I'd had more.

We managed:

The Cairo museum (try to arrive before 9am to avoid the tour buses and head straight up the stairs to the right to the Tutankhamen treasures first before they get overrun)

Khan-al-Khalili bazaar

The Pyramids (but again arrive early and certainly before the tour buses get there...you can buy tickets to get inside the pyramid open that day at about 8am...and try approaching through the desert on camel, far more fun)

Al Azhar mosque

Best of all, the Citadel and Mohammed Ali mosque (do not miss this one, not least for the views of Cairo laid out in front of you)

Make sure you have bottled water with you, and take time out by your hotel pool in the afternoon to rest and reflect on all the sights, sounds and smells of this wonderful and addictive city. Early starts are an absolute must before the heat and crowds get unbearable. Somehow Cairo makes you cope with 5.30am breakfasts! Enjoy the experience and close your eyes in the traffic....

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Al-Azhar Park
Al-Azhar Park
807 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day or two?

At the risk of repeating everyone else's helpful suggestions, please refer to my post of 26 May: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294201-i9404-k154…

Rusty, so glad you enjoyed Cairo so much - it seems you really made the most of your visit! Your suggestion to Pinky for coping with the heat was a good one of course, however since she said she's coming at the end of the year then she'll find the weather extremely pleasant for touring. Even in December you will find comfortable temperatures by day (usually in the 60's or sometimes low 70's), however you will definitely need a warm sweater/jacket for the evenings when temperatures can drop considerably due to the desert climate.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt