We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport in cairo / safety

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
transport in cairo / safety

i'm going to be in cairo in august 1st for a couple of days - and was wondering if it's a good idea to hire a cab driver to take me to specific sites -- has anyone got any recommendations? also what is the money system like - what's appropriate to tip, etcs... that would be greatly appreciated..

for some reason, cairo sounds scary, i conjure an image of a brutal robbery by an arab duo -

enlighten me folKs :) THanKs

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transport in cairo / safety

many thankS : )

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: transport in cairo / safety

If you are staying at one of the better hotels, the concierge can help you arrange safe and reliable transporation. You can also join local tours - several companies offer packages and they will pick you up at your hotel. Some of the friendliest people in the world are in Cairo. You will be delighted at how far your money goes in Egypt. Enjoy.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport in cairo / safety

i'm actually staying at a cheap hostel because they have free aiport pick up and a free shuttle to the pyramids...

but maybe i should upgrade...

do you (or anyone) have numbers specific to tour groups/guides? legit.

THaNks

Portugal
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: transport in cairo / safety

Me and 4 girlfriends went to Cairo 2 years ago. We found it to be quite safe. And we were 5 girls on our own! We rented cabs, and bargained the prices (can't remember how much, though..) and had a wonderful time! We just followed some simple rules, like not staying out after dark (though in Asswan we did...), and only going to the touristic sites (no "off the beaten track" in Egypt..), so we went to the pyramids, the souk and the Museum.. .

5. Re: transport in cairo / safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:05 am, January 19, 2006