We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

le meridien giza

london
4 posts
Save Topic
le meridien giza

hi

i was just wondering if anyone stayed at this hotel and also what things there are to do and see in cairo

thanks

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: le meridien giza

Le Meridien is one of my favourite hotels! You could say that I'm intimately familiar with the place as I live practically next door to it, and I have been a loyal customer and frequent visitor there for the last five years. Why do I consider it the best 5-star hotel in the pyramids area?

1. Location... less than ten minute walk from the Giza pyramids!

2. Wonderful pyramid views... do you want to see a photo I took from their roof?

3. Excellent facilities... the hotel is beautifully appointed with plush, comfortable, recently renovated rooms, a selection of excellent restaurants (Mediterranean, Nubian/Lebanese and Tex-Mex), it has the area's only heated swimming pool, plus a health centre with Jacuzzis, sauna, steam room and massage, plus tennis courts. Let's not forget of course all the standard facilities of a 5-star hotel: 24-hour bank, gift shops, business centre, beauty salon, etc.

4. Its best feature... the staff! I have never met a more efficient and friendly crew in my life - you don���t feel like you are in a big impersonal hotel, you feel like you are among friends!

I may sound a little biased towards the Meridien, but I have toured or stayed in many of Egypt's hotels and the Meridien ranks near the top of the list as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a vested interest in the Meridien above the other hotels in the pyramids area - the Sofitel, Movenpick and Mena House are also excellent - I'm just offering you my personal opinion.

As for what to see and do in Cairo... gosh, where to start?

You can spend a whole day or more exploring the pyramid fields at Giza, Sakkara and Dahshur, plus visit the nearby ancient capital of Memphis. The great pyramids of Giza, over 4500 years old, represent the last of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and never fail to impress those who stand in their shadow, while the ancient Sphinx who guards them is equally fascinating. I was just there today actually... even after 9 years they still blow my mind! At Sakkara you can see the world's first ever building made entirely of stone, the famous Step pyramid of pharaoh Zoser, considered to be the "beginning of architecture". Dahshur also contains two masterpieces, the red and "bent" pyramids of pharaoh Snefru.

Back in the heart of Cairo, the Egyptian Museum houses one of the world's finest collections of ancient Egyptian antiquities, including 12 rooms filled with breathtaking treasures from the tomb of the boy-king Tutankhamun and a special exhibit containing the mummies of several important pharaohs, including Ramses II. The museum really requires at least two days to appreciate all its treasures, although the main highlights can theoretically be seen in a half day visit.

Another "must see" is old Islamic Cairo, including such gems as the Citadel and Mohamed Ali mosque (aka the alabaster mosque), the mosques of Sultan Hassan, al-Rifai, Ibn Tulun and Amr Ibn el-Aas, the latter being the first ever mosque established in Egypt in the 7th century AD. A visit to Islamic Cairo would hardly be complete without a shopping expedition to the largest and most famous souk (bazaar) in the Middle East, Khan il-Khalili. Containing over 900 shops, it truly is an Aladdin's cave of treasures! Explore the many passageways, alleys, nooks and crannies of the Khan and the nearby al-Hussein, al-Azhar and el-Ghuri districts, then continue on to the famous tentmakers bazaar with its exquisite hand-stitched applique and other unique handcrafted items.

The area known as Old Cairo (or Coptic Cairo) contains the remains of the old Fortress of Babylon dating back to the Roman era as well as several historically important churches, including the famous "hanging church" (so named as it was built over the original water gate) and the church of St. Sergius, built over a crypt where the Holy Family are believed to have sheltered during their flight through Egypt; there's also the Ben Ezra synagogue.

Cairo also holds a wide variety of additional museums, galleries and places of cultural or historical interest. Other notable adventures include felucca trips on the Nile; horse or camel riding in the desert; visiting glass, papyrus or carpet workshops to view centuries old techniques that are still employed to produce beautiful handicrafts; or simply visit the countryside, see village life, meet local people.

Just 3 hours from Cairo, Egypt's second city Alexandria is fascinating in its own right, offering several interesting sites dating from the Greco-Roman period up until the ultra-modern Bibliotheca Alexandrina. Two or three days would be required to see all Alexandria has to offer, but you can easily see the main highlights in a day trip from Cairo.

Sorry for the lengthy post but, hey, you DID ask! :-)

Best regards,

Karen (www.heartofegypt.com)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: le meridien giza

Hi

Well I can't compete with KarenInEgypt's post...nor would I like to even try lol...as it does in fact describe this hotel perfectly (thanks Karen, I enjoyed reading that) I have been in this hotel twice before, and I absolutely love it, and the staff are wonderful. I will be back for another few days,the end of August and I can't wait. I highly recommend this hotel.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that it is not in the centre of Cairo,as I much prefer to sit around the hotel and drink in the atmosphere. Both times i have been there,there has been a wedding at the hotel, and both times we were invited to join the festivities by the brides father. The Egyptians are trully lovely people. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Yardley, Pa
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: le meridien giza

Sorry if this is a repeat.

We are a family of 4 coming to Egypt in July (yes, I know it is the hottest month... only time we could all come). We are on a Pyramids & Nile tour with a side trip (by ourselves) to Jordan. We arrive late in Cairo from Jordan & are looking for a place to stay. We saw the post on Le Meridien. Was it Pyramids or Heliopolis (any difference?). Which is better? Will the hotel arrange a meet & greet at the airport or should we plan to take cabs etc? We have 2 full days to explore Cairo & will already have visted the museums & pyramids on the tour... should we take cabs to bazaars etc?

Food... I am not but the rest of the family are vegetarians. Any suggestions on food? Should we worry about fruits/drinks & stomach problems? Any magic potions out there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

london
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: le meridien giza

does the hotel provide a towel service at the swimming pool?

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: le meridien giza

But of course! Actually, I don't know of a five-star hotel that doesn't! Le Meridien has an excellent team of pool staff who will arrange a lounger for you, adjust your sun umbrella as needed and of course provide you with towels. Then the attentive pool bar/restaurant staff will deliver food and drinks to your heart's content and all you have to do is lie back and enjoy a magnificent view of the pyramids in between refreshing dips in the pool. Luxury!

Gosh, I'm making it sound so appealing I think I'll have to pop over there myself tomorrow... lol!