We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Hello, I am planning a trip from Cairo to Alexandria. Our flight will arrive in Cairo around 5:00 pm on Wednesday in an early September day. I was considering taking the train, but understand it would take one hour to get to the train station from the airport. Would it make more sense to take the bus instead as there is a bus station right at the airport ? Are the buses air-conditioned ? Is it safe for foreign tourists ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
770 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Faye,

Yes, it is make sense if you wanted to go straight away from the airport and the buses is with A/C and yes it is safe but I would prefer to go by train.

Buses like Superjet, West Delta, Pullman all going to Alex and it is with A/C and even have stewardess selling drinks or snacks on the buses. The ticket if not mistaken from 25 - 35LE.

Hope this help.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
101 posts
2. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

I would either drive myself or if unable then take the train.

It takes only approx 2 hours on the train compared to often over 3 by car.

Also,the route is not very spectacular so the quicker you get to your destination the better.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
770 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

The car company in Egypt, give you only 100 km free after this each km 0.35 cent plus the insurance and if someone drive for the first time may be she/he might get lost easily when the road is poorly mark sign. It is expensive to rent a car in Egypt compared in USA.

But I would suggest to them if they could opt for booking a car with driver including the gas which cost around 300LE to take them to Alex rather than driving themselves since they might get lost especially with Egypt poorly mark sign road!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
101 posts
4. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Lol,maybe but the Alex road is hard to get lost on!

We hire a car here daily/longterm and have done so for 2 years. It is very cheap compared to UK.

Take a look at Sixt and Smart Car.

5. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:05 am, August 22, 2007
6. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:05 am, August 22, 2007
New York
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Hello,

I don't like the bus, i consider it unsafe. on my semiannual trip tp Egypt i either take a car from the airport straight to Alex for around $65.00 or stay overnight at a hotel and take the train on the next day.

i am doing the same on my next trip this September.

Good Luck,

giza
Level Contributor
181 posts
8. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

hello

the buses here are mor confortable and safe i prefer to take bus direct to alex it is very cheep here

thanks

Alex,Egypt
Level Contributor
253 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

Well buses could be having less accidents now adays, but are by no mean more comfortable, even if trains are acting carefull and getting late these days, but still 3 hours in a train over 3 hours in a bus anytime.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
10. Re: Cairo to Alexandria: train or bus ?

I have to agree with Strana, took the bus from Alex to Cairo last year and never again. Was stuck in the back row with very sweaty and smelly men,phew! Also the smell of the toilet after an hour was pretty bad. Have travelled on the train many times and always enjoyed the trip.