We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

UK/US
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

Anyone have suggestions on when the cheapest time of the year to go to Cairo would be? (Flying from Washington DC to Cairo)

I generally assumed going during the summer would be the cheapest (prices to Dubai dropped by 50% in the summer months). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
770 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

Hi BlondeandBlue777,

I thought as much you would guess that summer is the cheapest time to come to Cairo, Egypt but I am afraid I will have to say no to you because Egypt is main destination for all the arabs from the Gulf during the summer because in the Gulf summer is very hot compared to Egypt. During this time also the apartment which cost $100 a night would go sky high to $300 a night and the hotel will be very expensive too. If you didnt believe me you could check with the expedia and travelocity even the 3 star hotels is very expensive. I was thinking to go to Cairo, Egypt with my husband in August but we decided to go to Zurich instead since we saw the prices of the hotels and apartments too expensive.

Before summer you could rent an apartment with two/three bedroom for 1500 - 2000 LE a month but now this price will sky high to 4000 - 6000 LE a month and if you manage to get one it would be old, dirty and in secluded area.!

The best time to visit Cairo, Egypt is winter. Where the prices is low and most of the Arabs leave the country.

In winter Luxor and Aswan will be expensive to visit coz this is the best time to visit those destination as the weather is mild and beautiful but in summer it is cheap but way toooo hot to even go walk outside!! Like one of my girlfriend used to say 'You could fried an egg by putting it on your head under the sun'!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
315 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

Hello BlondeandBlue777:

even though that the previous post is saying it all but again i would say that yeah summer is for more Arabs than others but still you can try and book the hotel through a travel agent cause for hotels and travel agents they are charged by nationality and that goes during winter and summer as well...so try and get a different quotation from travel agents and hotels and see if it's affordable to you...;-)

wish you all the best and enjoy your trip

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

Hello,

Best time to visit is from October to April, as the weather is great then, any visit in the summer is rather difficult due to the weather.

Other factors against the summer are the large number of visitors from the Gulf states and also the streets tend to be even more crowded from July to September due to the school holidays (there are a lot of children, and people here !!).

If you have a choice wait till October, but if not go for it but prepare yourselves for the heat, and avoid doing anything it the heat of the afternoon.

Hope that helps, those of us who live here all want to leave in the summer months.

As mentioned by another member, through foreign internet companies you may get good deals, but not by booking direct here, it will cost more.

4. Re: Best (cheapest) time of the year to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 02, 2009