We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging money at hotels or banks

Sopchoppy, Florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
exchanging money at hotels or banks

We will be staying at Mena House. I stayed there once before and if I remember correctly they did have a bank window in the hotel. Do banks and hotels exchange hundred dollar bills or should I take lower denominations. I plan on taking a lot of one dollar bills with me as I remember at the sites the merchants were often asking taking one dollar bills. Thanks in advance1

4 replies to this topic
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
937 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: exchanging money at hotels or banks

$100 = a lot of Egyptian LE which you might have trouble shifting or changing back. Invariably, they will give you 200LE notes in exchange, and they too are difficult to shift. You'll have no problem changing $100in Egyptian but I would take smaller bills and change them more frequently to avoid a situation where you have a wallet full of 200LE which nobody can give you change for. Alternatively, just take cash out of the hotel cash point as and when you need it.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
337 reviews
2. Re: exchanging money at hotels or banks

Change smaller amounts as it’s very difficult to change back to hard currency.

Don’t use dollars to make purchases or to tip with, use local currency.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,496 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: exchanging money at hotels or banks

I would also recommend changing little and only as needed, as mark has mentioned you don't wanna be stuck with large le notes as the rate back to USD will be bad.

Try and use egyptian le, if possible.

Enjoy your holiday 👌🏽

Edited: 12:56 am, September 24, 2018
Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: exchanging money at hotels or banks

And only bring new dollar bills - the banks are wary of older ones especially if slightly damaged.

Reply to: exchanging money at hotels or banks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted