We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise vs. Felucca sailboat/driving

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise vs. Felucca sailboat/driving

Hi: I'm visiting Egypt in Jan 2018 with my family (kids are 6 and 9) for 7 days. We've been connecting with tour operators and most of them recommend the Nile cruise but one of them recommended we drive and combine the Felucca sailboat experience instead of the traditional Nile cruise. That's intriguing as I think it will give us more flexibility and also allow us to not be confined by the food on the cruise ship (would rather eat local and street food.) Does anyone have a perspective of Nile cruise vs. Felucca - am I missing out by not doing a traditional Nile cruise, or would a few sails on a Felucca be good enough? Thanks,

Nick

1 reply
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,932 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile cruise vs. Felucca sailboat/driving

If you want the Nile’s version of the traditional cruise ‘experience’, you certainly won’t get it on a felucca where the facilities are basic to say the least. That said, sailing on a felucca can be very enjoyable and rewarding experience, one that I sense you might well prefer to spending 3 or 4 days on a cruise ship.

If you combine a few sails with a drive between say Aswan and Luxor, you can arrange to stop and see the same sites visited by the cruise ship. Indeed, if you’re interested in particular sites, you can arrange to see more.

Reply to: Nile cruise vs. Felucca sailboat/driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted