We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route through Egypt

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best route through Egypt

Hello all,

I really need some advise about what would be the best route to travel through Egypt.

I will be in Egypt for 11 days, arriving in Cairo on Dec 21.

I would like to visit

Cairo

Aswan

Luxor

Sam el Sheikh (not sure if it will be worth going here in Dec)

What I would really like to know if I am spreading myself to thin, and what would be the best route to travel all these places.

I dont want to take a cruise and also I dont want to take the overnight train.

If I had to fly, which would be the best route? on a tight budget of course :)

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route through Egypt

Assuming you land in Cairo, spend a couple of days there before flying to Aswan for another day or two. (Visit Abu Simbel while you’re there if you want.) Drive to Luxor where you can spend three or four days. Fly to Sharm (via Cairo) for another couple of days before flying back to Cairo and the plane home. Even better (and cheaper), forget Sharm altogether and use the time in Cairo and/or Luxor.

Edited: 7:01 am, November 19, 2017
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route through Egypt

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

I just threw in the Sharm as an option really, I was thinking maybe some time away from the hustle and bustle would be good. But I dont really feel the need to go there.

So you say it would be best to fly from Cairo to Aswan (is 2 days enough here?)

Drive from Aswan to Luxor (would that be by bus? do you know how long the journey would be?) ( I was thinking 3 days here?)

My plan was to spend say 3 days in Cairo first and then to Aswan to Luxor and then spend the last day in Cairo for shopping before flying home again.

Other than these 3 places, is there anything I am missing that is a MUST do before I leave?

3 days Cairo

2 days Aswan

3 days Luxor

1 day Cairo

leaves me with two days to spare.... not sure what to do with them :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route through Egypt

It’s a workable plan. You could spend another day in Aswan if you find you like it. You could take a bus from Aswan to Luxor but, if you go by taxi or hire car, you can stopover at some sites (eg Edfu) along the way. The drive from Aswan to Luxor (not counting any sightseeing stops) is around 4 hours. In Luxor, you could take an extra day and take a day tour to Dendara and/or Abydos.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route through Egypt

Sounds good... Thanks so much :)

Reply to: Best route through Egypt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted