We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Hi I'll be arriving in Cairo at 6.30 am and leaving 36 hours later. So I need a hotel only for one night. Where would you stay? What would you do? And do you know of a hotel that would allow me to do an early check in? I don't want to spend a fortune as I'll be traveling for a month after that. I'm traveling alone and an older female.

15 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

If you don’t want to do any touring or general sightseeing, a hotel near the airport would be the most convenient. If you do plan on some touring, a hotel in downtown Cairo would probably be the best.

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Well, I think I should go see the pyramids, no?

Which hotel would you recommend?

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

I would suggest a hotel downtown. You can drop your bags then go to the pyramids, back to the museum, complete your check in, then there’s still time for an evening visit to Khan el Khalili.

A leisurely breakfast the next morning then back to the airport!

Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

I would also go for a downtown hotel. You could do the Pyramids that first morning and then head to the hotel and check in or leave your luggage at the hotel and then visit the Museum and then do the Pyramids the next day as you flight will be late afternoon. Check other recent threads for similar advice.

Croatia
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Take City View Hotel right next to the Museum and not expensive. I stayed there recently and I just posted a review. If you send them email, they can also arrange pick-up and a guide for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Contact the Mena House Hotel and see if you can negotiate a deal. Excellent pyramid views.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Here's another vote for the City View, it is my favourite hotel in Downtown.

You can check in early and they will pick you up at the airport, they can organise a tour at reasonable rates.

It is cheap enough to pay for two nights and get them to drop you at the airport for your return flight.

If you like small intimate hotels this is a good one. I have a couple of reviews of them as I have stayed there four times.

If you like Hilton and other high end hotels, it's probably not your style but for the price you pay it's a great option.

Edited: 9:33 pm, October 21, 2017
london
Level Contributor
766 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Out of interest, why would a top hotel negotiate a deal for a one off traveller spending one night in a hotel?

Seems to me like the sort of customer who is not worth the bother, not one you want to encourage.

tim

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Thank you!

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?

Thank you

Reply to: In Cairo for 36 hours, where do stay, what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted