We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camel ride at giza - recommendation

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
camel ride at giza - recommendation

We are visiting Egypt and would like to take a camel ride on the Giza Plateau. Can anyone recommend a stable/guide that has healthy well cared for camels? As I saw some horrible videos of animal neglect/abuse.

15 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: camel ride at giza - recommendation

“I’m not sure there’s an honest one or ethically treated camel among the lot.”

Looking for an ethical camel driver/tout does indeed sound a bit like a modern version of Diogenes wandering the streets of Athens looking for an honest man. On reflection, I suspect Diogenes (who as a young man was apparently run out of town for the ancient equivalent of counterfeiting) had a better chance.

On a serious note, the previous poster is right; watch yourself! Agree each and every term of trade before riding off, i.e. the price of the ride, the currency it’s to be paid in, the duration of the ride etc. As suggested, agree that the ride is there and back. Don’t handover your camera or you may have to ‘tip’ to get it back. Giza’s camel drivers/tours are mostly dedicated hustlers and scammers and you really need to stay alert.

Edited: 6:59 pm, November 06, 2017
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: camel ride at giza - recommendation

Hi TA Mates! I have a starter of a query - the camel rides being discussed in this thread is just for the experience or for moving between the three pyramids? In case it is the former, I can understand the 15 mins or 30 mins time line however if we are referring to the latter, I am not sure whether how can one complete visiting the three pyramids and Sphinx in the duration. I would be visiting Giza soon with an infant hence the question.

Also would be helpful, if you can let me know whether its easy to walk around the plateau while carrying the kid.

If not, please can you let me know an efficient way of moving around in the plateau with the kid and related costs if any. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: camel ride at giza - recommendation

The camel rides you’re describing aren’t intended to be anything more than a camel ride. You can go arojnd or between the pyramids if you want but it’s not intended as a tour. Some people rent horses to tour the site and I suppose some adventurous souls may hire camels to do it..

There’s a paved road between the pyramids and one between the pyramids and the Sphinx but otherwise the ground can be rocky and uneven where I would think walking with a young child could be rather tricky. You can see the site by sticking to the roadways but I suspect it’s a bit second best.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: camel ride at giza - recommendation

Thanks for your response Bbeckett. Appreciated. So if I understand it correctly, the camel rides are not for moving between the monuments but just for a fun, casual ride. And going by the terrain description, I don't think it's advisable to take a stroller with us to the plateau coz of the rough terrain off the road (which we would have to navigate in case we want to get closer to the pyramids).

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: camel ride at giza - recommendation

You can get to the entrances of the pyramids by roadway but, for a complete visit, I don’t think you would want to be limited to it. That of course is just my opinion and I’m sure that a lot of people with say walking difficulties do so,

Reply to: camel ride at giza - recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted