We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

Essex
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

Hi

I would like to ride a camel whilst in egypt or even just have photo taken on one. I know camels are their livelihood but just wanted reassurance that they are looked after? I have heard that many horses in egypt are overworked in the heat and very boney. Dont want to go on one and it be cruel to do so. I know the kids really want to go on one

Thanks in advance

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
319 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

gosh - that's quite hard to answer lulu. I didn't see any obvious cruelty, but I can't imagine they'd treat their camels any better than their horses (and some of the horses look dead on their feet). I guess the camels are better designed to cope with the heat/environment?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
315 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

Hi Lulu07:

Well just keep in mind one main thing for sure that for camel riders over here in the pyramids area they do consider camels as their living fortune cause after all it's the main income they have so as long as they keep the camel healthy and running so the money is still coming in....

so what they normally do and i have seen it for my self that after a long day of work for the camel so they take the camels back home and by the way they have a separate place where they looked after just next to where they live and then they bath the camel and feed them and in winter they cover them with blankets and in summer they are bathed like twice a day but again the camel is the desert ship so the camel was already gifted with the ability to tolerate long hours of walking and less water and food and by the way sometimes you'll see the camels are making like a very loud sound as if they are tired or hurt or.......but in fact they are eating back what's in their belly and that's how the camels are they chew twice or 3 times along the day and that's why again they don't eat much during the day......

so i hope that did answered Ur question somehow and wishing you a very pleasant time in Egypt for you and your family...

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

While we stayed in Luxor for two weeks, we noticed that most (not all) horses seemed fine. We did see a few camels which looked fine. Animals in general are thinner in hotter countries.

There seemed to be a general balance of welfare between the animals and its owners.

However, there were inevitablly many animals who are seriously neglected and treated very badly. We checked the caleches that had well cared for horses. But it did make me feel guilty for the ones who were not. Should I have pointed this out to the owner- who seemed very poor himself, witout fearing retaliation? Should I have told him that iin the long term it would better to look after his 'assests' rather than to neglect them and treat them so badly?Afterall, their livliehood depends on the poor beasts. A little bit of education does no harm.

Unfortunately, the animals I felt the most sorry for were the long suffering, hard working donkeys.

There are very good animal charities and sancturies througout Cairo and Luxor.

Essex
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

Hi Egyptian pharoah

Thanks for that. You have must my mind at rest. I imagined that they were well looked after. They are just such cute looking animals and i would hate to do anything that would cause them suffering. I suppose you can tell if they are well looked after. It's nice to hear that they are taken home and bathed and fed and watered. I cant wait to go to luxor now and then fly to cairo to see the pyramids.

Thanks again

Lucy

Essex
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

Hi Birdee

Thanks for your reply. I have seen many photos of seriously underweight horses and donkeys and dont think i could stand seeing this on holiday everyday. I will just steer clear of the caleches. I will use my own legs and get fit!

I have just looked on the brook animal hospital website and they state that it is tradition in Egypt not to give the horses and donkeys ANY food or water at all before a long days work. They think that this makes them work harder. I cant bear to think of animals doing such gruelling work with empty bellies and not being able to stop and drink. After all we drink water constantly on holiday. The horses and loyal and do the work of course but lots must be in terrible pain. Some horse/donkey owners have been educated by brook and know that to feed and water them regulary makes them work better and is so much better for them in the long run. As you say it is just about educating the animals owners but obviously this will take years. Maybe when tourist stop using the caleches where the horse looks very thin then it may make them think. But sadly i imagine you do get a group of 4 not so light people getting on a caleche where the horse if pitifully thin and enjoy a 3 hour or so ride!! I suppose everyone needs to be educated. Saying that there are probably many owners with well looked after horses/donkeys so it just makes sense to see the condition of animal if you are going to have a ride.I for one will be stearing clear!!

Thanks Birdee

6. Re: Camel ride.... are the camels well looked after??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 28, 2009