We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Visit to Egypt in May 2017

We are a couple from Guatemala, planning to visit Cairo, Hurghada and Luxor in our schedule. Terrorism recently hit Egypt and there is an Emergency declared by the government for 3 months. Will this affect tourism safety in Egypt? Do we have to consider not to visit Egypt in May 2017? We know there is no safe place in these days because of the terrorism, but we would like to know more about this country in the current situation.

41 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,147 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Loads of recent threads and posts on this very subject. Assuming the tourist is aware of his/her surroundings and uses ordinary common sense, the consensus is that tourist Egypt is still safe or safer than most places, i.e. no reason to cancel one's holiday plans at the moment. You should, however, read through some of these threads/posts to get a feel for the spectrum of opinion.

Edited: 3:44 pm, April 10, 2017
Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Thanks for your comments on my request for this trip to Egypt. Better to say that this thread is really worlwide on these days and there is no reason to quit unless warnings become of real danger.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

I think it is the best time to visit Egypt as they would try hard to secure all the important buildings Specially touristic places ( as it is always the case). terrorists are almost everywhere in the world you can't guarantee that one country would be more safe than other. so i think no need to cancel your trip

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

I'm a US citizen in Egypt now. All of the hotels I've stayed at feel very secure. There are police at all of the tourist sites. It's not overly crowded, which I like. I feel safe here, but I know that is a judgement call. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I plan to avoid religious sites and any large gathering I see forming.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Thanks for your comments! We appreciate very much your help.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Thanks for your opinion.

Level Contributor
181 posts
105 reviews
7. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Hi Lourdes. I just got back from a weeks stay in Egypt. I arrived last Friday and that terrorist event happened when I was visiting the pyramids. I was a little shocked to hear it on the news, but in all honesty Cairo just moved along like any big city would. Almost like it didn't happen. Cairo is a very safe and secure city. Obviously, things can happen but this is all over the world. Once you're in Egypt you will notice the presence of security, especially at tourist sites, hotels etc. all hotels have security to enter. Tourist sites have military people and it really gives you a sense of safety. After a few days I hardly even noticed it. The people,on a whole are really friendly and glad to see tourists. The only thing I decided not to do was visit major Christian religious sites and the big market in Cairo. This was just my choice but I know many that had gone and visited those places.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Really good to read those news about your visit. They are very useful, thanks and greetings from Guatemala City.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

In my recent trip to Europe we were stopped in Berlin, by Aegean Airlines. It was very disappointing, we were traveling to Egypt with one stop in Athens, they said we cannot travel because of the visa to Egypt, since we know that visa is available at the airport in Cairo at $25 per person. We lost our flight and reservations in Egypt, a lot of money. Who is going to be responsible for this? Aegean Airlines attention at Tegel Airport in Berlin was terrible. The assistants in the front desk even were not from the Airline, I asked the telephone number of the Airline and they said they don t know this information. It is very disappointing to have flights with this cheap Airlines and receive this poor service.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Visit to Egypt in May 2017

Are you perfectly certain that you can obtain a visa on arrival?

Unless you hold a passport other than, what one would assume from you home location to be a Guatemalan one, then you are not on the list of those countries who's passport holders are eligible for a visa on arrival (See: http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/visas.php ).

If this is correct, then the airline did nothing wrong in stopping you travelling; the fact that their agent were unable to provide you with contact details for the airline is another matter.

Reply to: Visit to Egypt in May 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted