We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need jabs for egypt

uk
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Do we need jabs for egypt

hi! i am going to egypt in june with a party of 16 from 2 years to 45 years i have checked a lot of sites and they say we do not need jabs but then you get the odd one say we do

any advice please

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

Visit your GP, they will let you know which ones are "recommended", we had the following before our first visit and so didnt need any for subsequent trips:

Hep A & B combined, 2 injections before we went and a third one when we came home six months later.

Polio - oral single dose

Thyphoid - one injection

Diptheria/Tetanus - combined

Nothing is compulsory but injections are a lot better than contracting those diseases. You do NOT need malaria tablets for Egypt.

Ultimately it is your decision, many people have NOT been vaccinated and have been several times without contracting anything.

Hope this helps,

Nefertari

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,329 posts
282 reviews
2. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

Nefetari is correct and if you use the seach box above the posts you will find many, many threads on this.

I can't imagine why any responsible sites would say you don't need jabs, as they are recommended by the NHS.

Immunisation is like insurance. You are trading a small inconvenience/cost against an event which is unlikely to happen but which would be disastrous/fatal if it does happen. I knew someone who died of tetanus in the UK, so don't think it can't happen.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
3. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

I was in a travel agents yesterday booking a trip to Egypt, I was aware that whilst there are no compulsory "jabs" when travelling there from UK ( I do have the recommended ones anyway) but during our conversation the travel consultant told me that on many travel insurances if you don't have the "recommended" ones you are not covered for those illneses. Easiest way is to have them for your own peace of mind but also check the small print on your travel insurance!!

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

here in Egypt we do not have widely spread infections or any thing regarding any of these illness, and i have seen many many travelers who did not took any injections, BUT as said in previous posts its all up to you and if you want to take them then it is ok for your peace of mind and comfort or for reason for your health insurance and so on

leeds
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

i am going to Egypt a week on Saturday and checked with my GP regarding injections.

The nurse gave me an injection for Hep A and Typhoid. These take around 4 days to kick in. She didnt say it was recommended or i definatly needed it. But i think it is best checking for piece of mind. I had other jabs in 2004 such as tetanus, diphtheria and polio.

hope this helps because i couldnt find any information either!

lancashire
1 post
6. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

ive just booked my first holiday to egypt and i also wanted to know weather i should get the jabs done? out of question the malaria jab is around £50 each per person so i did want to be sure before i paid for everyone. is there a charge at the NHS for the HEP A and B and also typhiod jab beucase everyone on this site seems to have these instead of the malaria?? please help

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
184 reviews
7. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

HI,

If you're in Scotland there seems to be a charge for the jabs. Wasn't aware there was a malaria jab? Thought it was pills?

In any case, Malaria prevention is not necessary unless you intend to spend time at the El Fayoum Oasis, which is 69km s.w.of Cairo. Your gp should confirm this (& it's on many websites).

We keep all our jabs up to date, typhoid, Hep A, polio, tetanus & diptheria & they're all free.

Regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
184 reviews
8. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

P.S. Forgot to say that Hep B isn't free; I paid £27 a shot last yr (3 shots) as I was touring around & wanted to be extra safe!. I will also have to pay for a booster in Sept & then (I think) don't have to have a booster for some yrs.

It's not a standard recommended one; it's passed thru dirty medical equipment & s*xual contact / shared needles.

A fellow travller picked up typhoid in Spain, of all places & Cairo Wendy has had Hep A in the past, but came thru it fine.....I don't s'pose it was her favourite thing to do tho. So, altho the disiease may not be wide-spread, one can't be dsure of the hygiene of staff & fellow guests. Typhoid is part of the salmonella range & many of these diseases are spread thru the fecal/oral route when someone hasn't washed their hands.

Diptheria is spread by coughs & sneezes; there was a large outbreak in Russia about a decade ago.....how many people are still carriers....? I dunno, but I know that many Russians travel these days....

Regards

Melbourne
Level Contributor
417 posts
9. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

I would reccomend you visit your GP about a month before you travel, because you will need two shots for some of them, and some need a chance to kick in,and space between the injections. For any Australians reading this, Hep B is free for secondary school students and is given at school. However, because i am a sook and sensitive with needles, my whole family and i all went to the GP and got lots and lots of jabs. You already have a list of vaccanations, (jabs) but here is a the inside page on health and safety.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-s206/Cairo:Eg…

Good Luck.

- Btw when i first read your post, i though you wrote jabs meaning hijabs. lol.

- CG

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
184 reviews
10. Re: Do we need jabs for egypt

Hi,

You need to be more than a month before as it takes about 2 weeks for optimum immunity to kick in & also, for the 2 parters, you need about 2 weeks in between.

Regards