We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Travel From Europ

Iqaluit, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car Travel From Europ

Is anyone aware of an active car ferry service from Europe at this time?

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Travel From Europ

The driving of cars to the uninitiated to the whys and wherefore of Egypt, is largely not recommended. The rules of the road in Egypt, are that the biggest and heaviest wins, and that's about it really.

Iqaluit, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Travel From Europ

I have heard of many many travellers drivign from Cairo to Cape town so I am not too concerned about the conditions of the roads and the hazards of driving. I am simply looking into how to get there. I will work on the dangers later on if it is possible to get to Egypt from Europe. Otherwise I will be looking into driving through Saudia Arabia and Iran if possible.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Hi,

There may or may not be a ferry from Iskenderun to Port Said. It's a question that come up here occasionally and is difficult to find reliable info on.

horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-for…

Look, I understand from your comment above that you're not worried about the driving per se, and that you're not looking for general (particularly negative) advice on the trip your considering, and I am all for extreme travel ....but I just gotta say, I don't know if this is logistically possible via Egypt. You've really heard of "many" travelers doing Cairo to Cape Town? I've heard of one book and that's it...

Say you can get a car via ferry to the Egyptian mainland. The further you head south, the more restrictive the regulations become. South of Aswan, travel is in convoy and only authorized vehicles are allowed. My understanding is that the border area broadly is entirely restricted. I seriously doubt foreigners traveling by private vehicle can get to Sudan overland.

If you cannot get here via ferry, then you're talking about crossing the Sinai. Again, the road from the border to the mainland is controlled by the military, and off-limits to foreigners. You might theoretically be able to go all the way down to Sharm el Sheikh and up the west side of the Sinai, but then you're just starting with the problems I've described above. This may not have been the logistical nightmare it is currently some years ago; I don't know.

Edited: 12:02 pm, February 18, 2014
Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Having said that Modesto, it's a trip I'd love to do!!!

I have heard of people driving from Europe to South Africa, but I think the route they took was via Southern Spain (Santander?) to Morrocco? This person was taking an extremely well prepared Landrover Defender.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Trip of a lifetime, no doubt. Knowing very little about the region, the west coast of Africa route seems doable, Senegal and Gambia avoiding Mali... I can't imagine the amount of visa hassle you'd have to go through to get it done though.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Not to many mention the possibility of needing more than one passport.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Hi,

Roots Camp near El Quseir on the Red Sea about 600 km south of Cairo is a regular stop over for motorists heading South. There are some basic accommodation in wooden chalets and I was wondering who would be staying there when this subject came up eventually. Contact Steve Rattle at Pharaoh Dive Club in Quseir, he may know or have some contacts . You might be lucky and they have people staying over.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Some years back we drove down through Spain and Morocco via Mauritania to Senegal - quite hair raising in parts including being held up at gunpoint and kidnapped amongst other things! Certainly an adventure but not one I want to repeat now I'm a bit older and (a little) more sensible. Never told my mum about the adventures!

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Travel From Europ

Could this be a solution for MrNunavut. There is a ferry that goes between Aswan and the Sudan ( Wadi Halfa, I may have the spelling wrong) which sails down Lake Nasser. Maybe he could put the car on it? Not sure if this ship is capable or that they would be willing to do this but it may be something to check out.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Travel From Europ

You can easily get a ferry from Spain to Morocco, I think, but then you have to go round the Sahara either to the North or South. Neither route sounds attractive to me, having been to both Libya and Sudan. I don't think you could do it in a normal car.

I suppose you could go East and down through Syria....no, that doesn't sound attractive either.