We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
516 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Hello,

I am planning a visit to France in the near future and I am interested in seeing Egyptian antiquities. I know about the collection in the Louvre and the collections in the museums in Chateaudun and Saint Germain-en-Laye.

Does anyone know of other museums in France that have Egyptian antiquities on display?

I'm posting this here because there are a number of posters out here that visit Egypt on a regular basis, and I hope some of them will know of other museums that have collections on display. Thank you.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

better to visit Egypt if you really interested in seeing more fantastic Egyptian antiquities.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

I think you may have a better chance on France forums

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

The Luxor Obelisque at the Place de la Concorde in Paris …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Place_…

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

I was hoping I might get lucky with one of the destination experts who reside in England, France, or elsewhere in Europe to answer (maybe they have made a visit to one or two), that is the reason why I made the post in this forum. I'm casting a wide net.

I do know of the obelisk at the Place de la Concorde and that will be viewed on my way to the Lourve. Thanks hikerLuxembourg.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

I am not familiar with the regular exhibits in the Institut du Monde Arabe, Paris, but their winter exhibitions - magnificently displayed - often have an Egyptian theme e.g. Pharaon, Bonaparte en Egypte. The bookstore on the ground floor stocks items relating to previous and current exhibitions - admittedly, mostly in French. For more information see www.imarabe.org

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Rather than hunting out the small museums, with correspondingly small Egyptian collections, in France, you may consider a side trip to Brussels to visit the Cinquantaire Museum there, accessible by Metro from central Brussels. See brusselsmuseums.be/en/museum/75-cinquantenai… for more information.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
180 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Thanks for the information Pausilypon. I may do that since I've found two museums that are "close" to the Belgian border. Just in case anyone is interested, here is what I discovered in the France forum:

Place de la Concorde (the twin obelisk from Luxor temple)

Chateaudun: tourisme-chateaudun.fr/the-township-museum-p…

Saint Germain-en-Laye: http://www.musee-archeologienationale.fr/

Lens: Lourve-Lens Museum, 19 items (http://www.louvrelens.fr/en/musee)

Boulogne-sur-Mer : château-musée de Boulogne-sur-Mer

Figeac : musée Champollion5

Grenoble : antiquités égyptiennes du musée de Grenoble

Limoges : musée de l'Évêché

Lyon : musée des beaux-arts de Lyon

Marseille : musée d'archéologie méditerranéenne au premier étage de la Vieille Charité

Paris : antiquités égyptiennes du musée du Louvre

Edited: 1:14 pm, December 18, 2013
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Zebra - I am sure that the Cinquantaire could be done as a day trip by train (Eurostar? TGV?) from Paris, I did it as a day trip from Ostend ,some years ago, by train and Metro.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

Congratulations, Zebra, on preparing for the trip to Egypt by doing museums in Europe. We too did the same, except that we visited the Neues Museum in Berlin this summer in order to get ready for our November trip to Egypt.

And don't forget, that closer to home, the Met in New York has the third largest Ancient Egyptian collection in the world (after Cairo and London).

10. Re: Egyptian Antiquities in France...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 20, 2014