We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blue jeans

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
13 helpful votes
blue jeans

Would blue denim jeans, not tight fitting, with loose t-shirt, be appropriate for travel in Egyptfor woman?

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: blue jeans

I would say yes...mostly in tourist areas. However you might need to cover your hair and more of your body while visiting mosques.

CHEERS

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2. Re: blue jeans

Yeah that is fine.

But nothing wrong with skinny jeans and a tight fitting top. That is what of a lot young Egyptian women wear. There is no need for women tourists to dress frumpily if they don't want to.

Actually when it comes to modestly in Egypt it is more about skin coverage rather than loose clothing. Dressing fashionably, wearing make up and lots of colours are totallly ok and normal.

One thing is I would avoid wearing a low cut top or too open a neck unless at a night club. Shorts away from the beach are also not a good idea.

As a Muslim woman I can say as long as you are reasonably dressed it is much more about confidence and attitude rather than feeling to need to over cover.

If you hear catcalls it is best just walk on and not acknowledge them. Don't sit in the front of taxis. If a guy is inappropriate ask him if he is a Muslim, or if he would someone to treat his sister like that. Never allow any man to touch you or brush past however 'innocent'. If that happens feel free to make a big fuss. You will get help.

Egypt has a really bad reputation for harrasment at the moment. But acting in an aloof and confident way really helps. In general most Egyptian men will treat you with respect and in good way. It's about finding the right balance. As long as you give the impression of a 'respectable woman' it is possible to travel indecently as a single woman and have friendly relations with locals.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
287 reviews
202 helpful votes
3. Re: blue jeans

The problem with jeans is that they may be too hot. Loose trousers are cooler.

While Egyptian girls do wear jeans, they often wear them with a tunic top and headscarf that matches the top. Older Egyptian ladies don't wear jeans IME

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
4. Re: blue jeans

Sure your are right about older ladies.

Some girls do wear tunics or rather fashion is now for short dresses and jeans but many do wear very tight t shirts over a longer sleeve top called a body all colour coordinated. Im assuming Yols is a non muslim so there is no need to wear a headscarf and pretty much every Egyptian would think that too.

You give good advice about about what she shoud wear. But I think a lot of female tourists stress too much about how they should dress in Egypt. There is no need to! As long as you dress normally and reasonably modestly most things are fine. Skinny jeans or baggy trousers won't make much of a difference. From an Egyptian point of view you will still look like a foreign tourist.

If you notice local tourists from other parts Egypt on holiday they dont feel the need to change their mode of dress when on holiday. I've even saw once one Egyptian woman tourist in long shorts in Siwa which is a very conservative part of the country. Nobody said anything to her.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
260 posts
11 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: blue jeans

Thanks for the replies ladies, will certainly rather be bringing cotton pants, I assume even December January is still hot then? Am now not going to stresss too much about what to wear, just be comforatble, and decently covered

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: blue jeans

Yes, so many females here wear jeans.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
24,008 posts
179 reviews
104 helpful votes
7. Re: blue jeans

I was also going to warn you that the jeans may be too hot but Verity beat me to it. Rather than pure cotton trousers, I usually wear a cotton/synthetic mix because mostly that sort of fabric doesn't tend to crease so badly. When I've worn pure cotton I look like I'm wearing an old bag within an hour or two.

Definitely no need to wear a head scarf, but it's wise to wear a top with a little sleeve and a reasonable neckline. Not only for cultural consideration, but also to help prevent sunburn.

Roxanne2010
Level Contributor
73 posts
24 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: blue jeans

Re. your question on weather in December/January - I have done two trips to Egypt in December/January – the first trip was camping the second trip was hotels. I found non-military (not khaki) cargo pants and long sleeve shirts with a ‘tail’ and a long sleeve ‘Bonds’ T shirt as an extra layer my most comfortable clothing for ‘climbing’ around ancient sites. I also wear running shoes or my 'Rivers' boots. I had made years ago a couple of pure silk ‘tubes’ measuring 60 cm in length and about 25cm in width – similar to a hijab - but I wore them as a neck warmer and something to pull over my head when I need a head covering OR the wind was blowing when I was in the sand dunes. Since sunrise was not until about 6.45am in Mid-December and sunset was about 4.45pm I found this a great way to keep warm while still wandering around.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
539 posts
229 reviews
58 helpful votes
9. Re: blue jeans

Of course it is ok, you will find a lot of people here do the same

10. Re: blue jeans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 26, 2014