We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of this itinerary?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
259 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of this itinerary?

Hello guys, i usually confirm here in TA my planned itinerary.

Do you know if it is better doing with an agency or on our own? (Will be next year, so i hope the strike ends but that time).

Day 1. departing in alx in the morning via our jeep see sites like great

battle ?museum ? cemetery then to marsa matrouh have lunch and rest then go

to beach then go to hotel spend the night .

Day 2. early by jeep to siwa around 350 km by road arrive there at noon

time go direct to abduo restaurant have lunch then half day free t walk

around siwa for shopping and take sunset from (shali) old siwa spend the

night in hotel

Day 3 . early by jeep to see all sites around siwa like (mountain of the

death ? temple of oracle - temple of amoon ? Cleopatra spring ? fatnase

lake ? then drive to the great sand sea to do sand boarding and sea the hot

spring and lake in the medial of the dune have lunch there and stay there

until sunset then get back to siwa spend the night in the hotel .

Day 4. free day in siwa night in the hotel .

Day 5. 8 am by jeep to baharya oasis 450 km half of the road is new road

and half by track arrive baharya around 3 pm go to the hotel direct lave

your bag and maybe walk around the oasis spend the night in the hotel .

Day 6 .do local tour around baharya like golden mummies- salt lake - hot spring ? gardens of baharya ? English mountain then go to the desert. first place will be black desert ? Bedouin village el (hiz )crystal mountain to agpat to the white desert where we spend the night camp under the stars .

Day 7. from white desert by road to frafra oasis visiting the hot spring and local art museum then drive off road to the small sand sea around 80 km from frafra spend the night in the medial of the sand sea under the stars .

Day 8. drive all the day in the sand sea we stop for one hour called khrafich for collecting shark tooth and have lunch there then to the steep of dakhla where we spend the night under the stars .

Day 9. go down to el qasr village for visiting some sites like temple of dar el hager ? old Islamic town then handcrafts carpet factory then 220 km by road to kharga oasis . Visit temple of bagwat ? temple of mazuka .and spend the night in the hotel

Day 10. free day on al qasr.

Day 11. transfer to luxor.

Day 12 to 16 Nile Cruise

Day 17 Back to Cairo on night train.

What do you think?

Thank you a lot !

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,278 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

I think it is a pity you are not visiting Aswan where there is lots to see. For comments on the oasis section, try the Cairo or Luxor forums.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

On the whole, your itinerary sounds fine. I assume that you are hiring suitable transport, with driver, for the Alexandria --> Luxor loop? The desert driving (Mersa Matruh --> Luxor) requires 4WD and an experienced driver. I suggest that you click on "Self Drive in Egypt" - amongst the Top Questions, in blue, on the right hand side of this page, for more information on this subject. Briefly, self-drive is not recommended, least of all in the desert.

I note that you have not allowed any time for sightseeing in Alexandria - perhaps on the day before you start your tour?

My further comments are:-

Day 1 O.K. - but there are 3 separate cemeteries at El Alamein as well as the museum (with a model of the battlefield - you may be given a lecture about the troop movements) so it could be well into the afternoon before you arrive at Mersa Matruh.

Day 2 O.K. - but consider visiting Fatnas Island, instead of Shali, for the sunset.

Day 3 The temples and "Cleopatra's" spring are all at Aghurmi, not far. The tombs on the Mountain of the Dead are badly damaged but worth seeing. Siwa House - the folk museum - is also worth visiting. Shali, of course, looms over Siwa town centre and may conveniently visited at any time. All these sites may be seen in a single day. I do not know about sandboarding.

Day 4 At Siwa. I would be inclined to move on rather than spend another day at Siwa - but, of course, it depends on your interests.

Day 5 O.K.

Day 6 O.K. Note that the "gardens" are date plantations.

Day 7 O.K.

Day 8 I do not know about obtaining sharks' teeth or where you plan to sleep for the night but, yes, arrive at Dakhla Oasis.

Day 9 It takes more than a morning to visir al Qsar and the sites in the oasis as they are spread around. I recommend spending the whole day here rather than rushing on to Kharga.

Day 10 I recommend driving to Kharga in the morning and visiting the sites after lunch - the Bagawat tombs and Hibis temple are situated very close to each other but the temple may not be open. The antiquities museum, in Kharga town, is well laid out over two floors and worth visiting.

Day 11 onwards - no further comments.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
259 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

thank you both for the tips !

i ll do luxor to aswan after this trip. and cairo / alexandria before to start it. so, my doubts are only in desert safaris.

yes, i read about doing on our own and i thinl o wasnt clear, but this itinerary is offered by an agency, so i ll do it with them. Do you know how much would it cost ?

thank you both and ill modify the activities as you say.

thanks !

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

I should have mentioned that it makes sense to have your trip through the Western Oases organised by a tour operator as permission has to be obtained for travelling through the military zone. For example: there are several army posts (no photographs allowed) between Siwa and Bawiti and your vehicle/convoy will be stopped at each one for some time while your documentation is checked. I do not KNOW, but I believe that, at each checkpoint, someone will contact the previous one to inform them that everyone in your party has arrived then telegraph ahead to the next checkpoint on your departure. It is not a simple matter of hiring a jeep and heading off independently, stopping whenever you feel like it. These checks are also, of course, in the interests of your safety.

I have no idea what the cost is likely to be - sorry!

5. Re: What do you think of this itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 03, 2014