We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 30th - Mass Protests

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
June 30th - Mass Protests

Starting this thread in anticipation of the June 30th protests planned across Egypt, and travel impacts (not political). People planning trips to Egypt next week should understand that there will be major demonstrations around in Cairo and likely countrywide. As one obsessed Egypt observer, here are a few things you might want to know:

- Protests do not necessarily mean that Cairo or any other city is unsafe. They come in many flavors, and almost all of them can be avoided with a bit of awareness and planning. That said, you probably do not want to be planning trips around Cairo June 30. There are likely to be transportation disruptions. Pyramids are hotels are typically unaffected. The Egyptian Museum on Tahrir....probably no the best day.

- There is a good possibility that sizable demonstrations and/or violence could begin prior to the 30th, particularly starting on Friday the 28th. Travelers should become familiar with local news outlets and monitor them. Again though, just because something bad is going on in one city or neighborhood.....you'd likely never know about it without the internet. That's Egypt.

- On the other side, it's possible that this turns into one of the three or four day things that we have occasionally....with ongoing clashes at one or several locations. People arriving the week after next should keep an eye on things. People traveling in the coming months should expect to see some pictures of big protests and maybe violence.....it's happened before and it will happen again. It may or may not be indicative of the situation when you visit.

- The roads connecting the Sinai and the mainland will be closed June 30th. There is some talk of the Cairo metro union joining the protests also, but that's yet to be confirmed.

I joined this forum to try to provide perspective on Cairo, as a balance to the crazy pictures you see on TV and online when not in Egypt. In general, safety concerns are overblown and sensationalized. But, there is uncertainty in Egypt these days, and travelers take that on when visiting. Nobody knows how the course of things will go next week, next month, next year.....but unless there is a major change in conditions, tourists should not be afraid of coming. They should be aware and informed though.

Happy to try to answer questions as the situation progresses. I'll be consuming obscene amounts of twitter to find out what's going on around the country anyway.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Thanks Modesto, as long as it isn't Luxor ;-))

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

You summed the whole thing perfectly, Thanks

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Modesto, I would say the above is must know information for anyone intending to travel to Cairo, I will be watching this thread!!!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,289 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Thanks Modesto, great idea!

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Obnoxiously bumping my own post as questions come up about this weekend....

We've got competing protests starting Friday in Cairo. The atmosphere is likely to be charged for the next week.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
105 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

I'll be following this thread with interest. We're heading out to Egypt in the middle of July, so I've been curious if these protests will carry over at all.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Thanks for this thread. We arrive in Cairo on 29th & have a nothing day on 30th - which was accidental - but good now. Tour starts on 1st, so fingers crossed we can see the sights that are planned, but will be prepared for changes to the schedule.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

It looks like we're getting going on this. The army has deployed around Cairo and the opposition campaign will be gathering in Tahrir this evening to coincide with the President's speech. No danger to visitors as of now.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Thank you for the updates. I am an American teacher that will be traveling with my wife as we arrive on 29 June. We are staying in Cairo for 4 days and trying to decide what to do now regarding the situation that is projected. I appreciate any advice on our travels. We are expected to tour the pyramids on 30 June (good idea still?). We will be doing a day tour to Alexandria on July 1st and leaving for Aswam on July 2nd.

Thanks for all updates and advice.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 30th - Mass Protests

Where are you staying? If at or near the pyramids, You should be fine. If elsewhere....I think the vast majority of Cairenes (who are not out protesting) intend to stay home and not travel around the city. Are you working with a guide? If so I recommend following their advice; no good for them to put you in dangerous situations. The problem is that prediction really is impossible, sorry. Alexandria can get pretty rough at times around the train station so you'll want to keep an eye on that too. This site is probably the most useful for current news-

http://english.ahram.org.eg/

If I were booked on a trip arriving now I would take it as long as you are willing to be flexible and perhaps not see everything you might like to because of the security situation.