We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

Is it better to exchange money in the uk or in Egypt?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,443 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

Hi

Wrong forum I am afraid - if you read the “Sticky” at the head of this page it will explain to you what the true purpose of this forum is

Questions of this nature are best placed on the relevant destinations forum – see link below and happy travels when they come

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g294200-i9124-Eg…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

Hi Sally,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor support forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Egypt forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

Take Bank of England sterling notes - clean, untorn, uncrumpled, unmarked ones - and change as needed in Egypt, where you will obtain a much better rate of exchange than in the U.K.

There are lots of tips about money and tipping - click on "Money and Tipping" , in blue, amongst the Top Questions on the top right of this page.

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

ATMs are plentiful, with a good exchange rate, and low hassle....

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

Modesto lives there and possibly has a local account.

You need to check with your own bank, but each transaction might be subject to one or both of a transaction charge and a percentage charge, on top of the fact that you are using the bank rate in your home country and losing out on the near 10% better rate in Egypt.

So, whilst your cards will work, you are probably penalising yourself close to 15% of each withdrawal!

Pausilypon has said it already - TAKE NOTES and change them locally

Get used to asking for 'Small' and keep handing notes back until you have enough of what you want for tipping, buying etc.

Many do use their card to pay the hotel bill since it can be a large sum but all other transactions should be in LE, apart from buying your visa which is $15 and can not be paid in LE, so the UK equivalent, depending on the exchange rate is around £10

And if the machine swallows your card, you're screwed!

Edited: 4:09 pm, February 13, 2013
6. Re: currency exchange in egypt! better done in uk or Egypt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014