We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions to the pyramids from Sharm El Sheik???

Weymouth, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Excursions to the pyramids from Sharm El Sheik???

I am going to Sharm El Sheik 25th March for a week. It's my first time in Egypt and I naturally have to go to visit the pyramids! However I will be going with my boyfriend but he is now somewhat worried about the riots and unrest going on and is now saying that he does not want to take the risk to go to see them. I am also worried about the situation in Egypt at the moment but for me it is pointless to go to Egypt without visiting the pyramids. Has anybody been recently? Should it be safe? Can anybody give me information on possible excursions from Sharm El Sheik, which are the best ones, ones that should be safe? If I manage to persuade my boyfriend to go, should I book now in advance or wait until I'm there? Any idea on prices? Thanks

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions to the pyramids from Sharm El Sheik???

There is no danger for tourists visiting the Pyramids. The trouble spots in Cairo are Tahrir Squaire, the area immediately around it, and the Presidential Palace. The Giza Plateu is quite removed from both of those places. Cairo is a huge city and even while there is fighting in one part, life continues normally elsewhere.

I'm sure you can book something when you are in Sharm, but really, this is a trip totally doable on your own, and for far less, I imagine. You'll want to fly, otherwise it's like a 12 hour bus ride. When you arrive in Cairo, you can hire a driver for the day from the airport, or do some research ahead of time and find a guide who will pick you up and take you to Giza and a couple other sites around town if you like.

One thing to keep in mind when planning is traffic- Friday and Saturdays are the weekend, and much easier to move around town. On weekdays, the trip from central Cairo to the airport can take 2 hours on a bad day, whereas it can be 30-40 minutes on a Friday.

M H
Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions to the pyramids from Sharm El Sheik???

I'm a gree with Modesto111, no trouble to visiting the Pyramids or Shpinx. Trouble only at Tahrir Square.

If you could find a flights on Friday or Saturday, that would be good, becouse the traffic.

You could probably booking your a private trip to the Pyramids online before you come to Egypt online with local agnt at www.reallifeegypt.com

3. Re: Excursions to the pyramids from Sharm El Sheik???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 05, 2014