We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Hi evlybobly, I have noticed from a few posts that the booking of trips whilst cruising nile seems to better done with local operaters than with the reps on board. We travel with MyTravel and will probably have the so called induction meeting on the first morning. Is it worth going or are we better booking all our trips in luxor town?. Any info greatly appreciated.EEEEK

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Hi, I live in Luxor but from UK. When I first holidayed here few years ago I did all my tours with UK reps, thought it was safer that way!! Now I realise I was well & truly 'ripped off'. I paid nearly 200 English then to fly to Cairo for a days tour. Even now 3 years later I can do it with a local company for 150!!! There are many good companies here & you can even find a few independent operators who will give you a good price. If you need any more info about Luxor you can reach me at ham.jann@yahoo.co.uk Will try to answer any questions you may have.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Hi Monkeytrousers or should I say EEEEK!

I have to agree with Iberis, we bought the trips on the boat because we didn't want the hassle. We did compare the prices in Luxor for the same trips with local companies and the prices were between 40 - 50% cheaper! Drat, could have spent that money on other things. There are a lot or travel agents near the Old Winter Palace (Jolleys is one).

Regards Nefertari

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Thanks to all replies so far, any more views anyone?

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Monkey Trousers,

'Mainstream' trips have always been included on the cruises, I have been on (Abu Simbel flights/Medinet Habu excepted.) Perhaps, next time, you may want to compare inclusive trip options? It is usually much cheaper to book locally. The downside of this is that you might miss the fun of sharing sites with newly aquired friends. Hiring a taxi for the day (or air-conditioned private mini bus is cheap, flexible and easy). I hope you and your family have a lovely time.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Hi MsTery, I dont ever have any freinds cause i stink bad, so thats not much of a problem but can you please explain a bit more about the "included" trips on the cruises, and the optional ones. We will be on the Grand Star, if thats any help. Cheers EEEEEK

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise excursions- a rip off?

Monkey Trousers,

Crusies I have taken included most trips, such as Valley of The Kings/Queens, Karnak and Luxor Temples, Esna, Edfu, Aswan sites(exluding Abu Simbel) etc. I have found this to be much better value, than cruises which make you pay for each excursion. My suggestion was to compare the inclusive trip deals with the 'pay for each trip' ones (should you go cruise again.) The simple pleasure of sunbathing, while watching the Nile drift slowly by, is as good as any excursion.