We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches in Egypt

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best beaches in Egypt

Hello, my wife and I are planning a trip to the red sea in March. We would like to find lagoon style (calm) transparent and crystal clear water.

We have seen photos of Marsa Matrouh but unfortunately, being on the mediterranean sea, it will be too cold to visit in March.

So we have been looking at Marsa Alam and Soma Bay but we were not too impressed by the photos (dark/brown sand and dark blue water).

Can anyone please advice which are the best options available?

Many thanks in advance

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,388 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

It might be an idea to narrow down an area you like and post on those forums for detailed information.

I have read that there is some good snorkelling at Marsa Alam. If you went to the eco resorts tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g311425-d1184… the water is pristine, you don't have to dive but you won't get the pool, entertainment etc. I believe they are building resorts around this nature reserve and reports are good.

I have been to Hurghada and the man made beaches are only clear in the early morning, as soon as people wade in the sand clouds the water. Also they are not on a reef. However if you go on a boat trip to the Giftons the water is so clear and the reefs amazing. I try to find resorts where they have their own jetty so I don't have to get up too early.

Sharm el Sheikh has lovely clear water but in the best ones you have to acess the reef from jettys to protect the coral. There are trips to the 2 major marine parks from there - Ras Mohammed & Tiran

Edited: 5:36 pm, December 11, 2011
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

Great snorkelling at Ras Um Sid beach in Sharm - clear waters and a jetty to take you out over the coral reef and into the deep turquoise sea - gorgeous ! Also as suebovington says - great trips from Sharm out to Tiran Island and Raas Mohammed National Park - look at the reviews for these. They are fantastic for snorkelling trips.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

I wonder if this op should be looking either at an Indian, or Pacific Ocean island?

London
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

Thanks all for the advice. Re to SteveKent: you are probably right. We have been to the Maldives last february and we were hoping to find the closest option to that in terms of clear calm and shallow water.

Thanks also Rollergirl52 and Suebovington for your suggestions. We are looking particularly at Marsa Alam, as Sharm El Sheik does not have beach access to water.

Thanks again

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

I guess the best sand is going to be Dahab/Nuweiba.

I know the Hilton at Nuweiba has quite a good house reef, and a lot of golden sand.

northwest
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

Nuweiba has some lovely beaches............Therer's some good snorkelling off the beach at Nakhill Inn and Soft Beach Camp has the most superb sand and is ideal for swimming.

But there can be wind at times but we just love the whole area.

Edited: 5:30 pm, December 13, 2011
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,388 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

LuissN, I can see why you ask now. Egypt is quite different and the most comparible snorkelling would be the Giffton Isles by boat or maybe the eco villages in MA. I stayed in the Melia Sinai + Ras Nasrani in Sharm el Sheikh and the bit of reef was superb but again quickly became cloudy with sand as so many people get in and splash.

Wonderful though the reefs are it is going to be hard ot compere to the Maldives simply because of the numbers of people. However if you do - Please let me know. I would love a shorter flight.

The best reefs in Egypt are protected by taking small guided groups unlike staying on an island surrounded by one.

Edited: 3:02 pm, December 14, 2011
8. Re: Best beaches in Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 26, 2012