We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
Egypt Air Baggage Limits

I posted this on another forum site that may not get the hits I need so am reposting here:

We are leaving to Egypt next week for a 16 day tour. We leave from from California and fly to Cairo via British Airways.

Once in Egypt we will take three Egypt Air flights. One from Cairo to Luxor, one from Aswan to Abu Simbel and one from Abu Simbel to Cairo.

Our question is: What are the weight limits per person on Egypt Air?

The US tour company we are using said "Internal flight weight goes with the transatlantic flights rules , so the luggage weight that you came with is what Egypt Air will accept, no more but it can be less."

British Air's website states 2 bags @ 23 kg each (101 lbs) and one hand baggage (no weight specified)

Egypt Air website (which does not respond to emails) states baggage allowance is 20 kg (44 lbs) and the hand baggage cannot weigh more than 5 kg (11lbs).

Only post I could find stated person had a 1 kg over weight and had to pay 9 British Pounds.

HELP! Seven days and counting.

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

I've traveled on internal flights - with what I'm sure was more than my allowance - and the check-in guys never so much as batted an eyelash. I was especially loaded down on The Cairo to Luxor flight because I had just gotten off my NY - CAI flight, and was also taking stuff to some children. To be honest, I wasn't even sure those scales worked! :-) In my experience, I think they pretty much know that westerners are moving from place to place with everything from their transatlantic flight so they don't bother.

I *have* read about people having to pay for overweight but I hazard to guess those were rare occasions since lots of people on my flights had loads of bags and none of them complained about having to pay.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that would be the way things worked.

Ed

Montreal
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Hi, we are leaving also next week and I had the same question about the luggages...Tks

I have another question about Egypt Air..maybe somebody can help...We will be landing in Cairo for a few days and then flying with Egypt Air to Aswan...During that interior flight, can I bring wine in my luggage ?? I will be buying some at the duty free in Cairo but then will stay a few days in Cairo and then flying to Aswan...!!

Anyone knows if we can bring liquid in the plane (Egypt Air)??

New York, USA
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Liquids can go in your checked luggage, no problem. For carry on luggage, it must still be sealed from Cairo Duty Free. If you don't want to chance breakage by checking the bottles, I would suggest buying enough to get you through the few days in Cairo, and then get whatever you'll need for Aswan before you board that flight.

On another note, I bought duty free stuff at JFK (NY), but they wouldn't let me on the plane with it from Cairo to Luxor even though it was still SEALED in the JFK bag. I was told it had to go in my luggage because it wasn't done at Cairo airport. This was a few days after the rule was put in place, so maybe they were being overly cautious and are more lax now, but that was my experience.

TB08

Montreal
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Thank you travel bug...

I'll see what I can do... Apparently the local wine is really bad so

I wanted to buy some bottles at the dutyfree...

tks

Oxnard, CA
Level Contributor
154 posts
167 reviews
6. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

Travelbug08

Thanks for that additional info. Guess we will wait for Cairo to buy a bottle.

7. Re: Egypt Air Baggage Limits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 11, 2009