We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow in december

Singapore
Level Contributor
237 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
snow in december

Hi,

I would like to experience snow and play with snow in korea this year end (December). However, I understand that the snow in Seoul is not much.

Which part of korea should i go for heavy snow that is easily accessible by public bus from seoul? How do i reach there and how long is the journey?

Many thanks.

Seoul, S.Korea
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snow in december

I remember heavy snow several times in Seoul during last winter. It is result from climate exchange.

It is getting colder and more snow than past. If you will visit Korea on mid of december, be able to do in Seoul too.

Gangwon province is the coldest area of Korea and there are many ski resorts.

I know they run suttle between Seoul and the resort.

Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snow in december

You can go to Alpensia Pyeongchang ski resort. Board direct bus at the gate 9C from Incheon Airport. Bus stops at Gimpo Airport and rest area once. Very convenient.

It takes about 4 hours from airport to the resort.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snow in december

i was there last year in Dec thru to Jan'13... was surprised with heavy snowfall even in Seoul...

if u plan to ski or snowboard, which i think you should, all the resorts will be decked in snow...

might not be snowing from the skies thou... depends on ur luck...

I did a night snowboard session at Jisan... abt 40min out from Seoul... nothing super wow but has beginner/intermediate slopes...

cheap and affordable as i joined a 3rd party tour... less then SGD$100 for transport/tic/equipment and all...

4. Re: snow in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 pm, September 24, 2013
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: snow in december

Hi Brighton,

Me going Seoul in Dec and would like to try skiing at a resort.

Can u provide contact of the service provider that organized the day tour? I am having a hard time making arrangement on my own : (

Many thanks !

Edited: 12:56 pm, August 17, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snow in december

Head towards yangyang or sokcho around the Mt sorak area.

Edited: 6:08 am, August 18, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: snow in december

Yes. Me too have a hard time getting response from the ski resort. I am trying to book a room or hostel in muju & jisan. Non respond.

8. Re: snow in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 pm, September 24, 2013
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
18 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snow in december

I think you can check this website , http://seoulcitytour.net

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snow in december

It really depends.I once went to Incheon which is near Seoul it snowed quite alot and it was so powdery.If you want to see snow,you should go to Sokcho.When I went to sokcho,the snow at the sides piled up even higher than a dressing table.If you happen to not see snow in sokcho,you could go to Mt Sorak.One of the highest mountains in Korea.I went there near Christmas and there were lots of snow.You could take a cable car up half the mountain and continue by foot to the summit.But be careful as the snow is no joke,it's quite slippery and dangerous.But should be alright.Mt Sorak just needs a 15min bus ride from sokcho.Sokcho is a few hours bus ride from Seoul.If you really only can stay in Seoul or just near Seoul and can't go to a ski resort,don't expect much.But sometimes if you can catch the first snow,it usually will be a blizzard.So try to catch the first snow.

Mentioned in this post
Incheon
Incheon
South Korea