We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

Philippines
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

We are traveling to Seoul end of Sept and I'm trying to build our itinerary. We are 2 adults and 2 girls ages 11 and 6 years old. I am interested in cultural activities and kids are kids so they like kids stuff. I just want to balance our activities, so everyone would be happy with the trip.

What are the tourist attractions near each other? Because I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out their distances or vicinity with each other.

DAY 1, SAT

- DMZ tour

- Hangang park bike and cruise

DAY 2, SUN

- Suwon Folk Village

- Suwon Hwaseong Fortress

DAY 3, MON

- Geyongbokgung Palace

- Samcheongdong

- Bukchon Hanok Village

DAY 4, TUE

- Nami Island

DAY 5, WED

- Everland or Lotte

DAY 6, THUR

- Children's Grand Park

- Coex Aquarium

DAY 7, FRI

- Changdeokgun

- afternoon to: Gyeongju

DAY 8, SAT

- whole day to: Gyeongju

- 9PM flight

I'm also interested to go or do the following but I'm not sure where to put it:

- Insandong

- Nanta Show or Jeongdong Theater

- Namdaemun Market

- Trickeye Museum

- Seoul N Tower with Cable Car and Teddy Bear Museum

Am I doing so much in some days? Or maybe to less in some days too? My girls don't sleep in the afternoon. We can leave the hotel (at Dongdaemon) at 8AM and be in bed by 8PM too.

I really am interested to sleep in Gyeongju for 2 nights. But I'm not sure which day I should sacrifice.

Thank you.

Regards,

VCER

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
581 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

Your itinerary looks okay except day 8 and 9.

If you are leaving on 9th, then going to Gyeongju on 8th is not really good.

If you want to squeeze in Gyeongju, then skip Children's Grand Park on day 6.

Visit Changdeokgung on day 3 when you go to Gyeongbokgung.

Then you can go to Gyeongju in the afternoon of day 6.

It will take about 4-5 hrs to get to Gyeongju.

You can tour Gyeongju day 7, 8 and morning of 9th and you can leave for the airport in the afternoon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

If you decide to put the trip to Changdeokgung together with Gyeongbokgung, then do take note that Changdeokgung is closed on Mondays. So you have to swop Day 3 (Mon) with another day.

*Gyeongbokgung is closed on Tuesdays.

Insadong can be added to this day. After the palaces, you can walk to Insadong for some shopping and tea.

If your trip to Suwon ends in the afternoon, you can arrange to go to Seoul Tower+Teddy Bear Museum in Myeongdong area at night.

Edited: 1:31 pm, March 30, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

In addition, do you intend to reach on Day 1 and go on the DMZ tour straightaway? Unless your flight reaches South Korea really early, you might not be in time for the tour.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

You could put Geyongbokgung Palace, Samcheongdong, Bukchon Hanok Village, Changdeokgung, Insandong, Nanta show and Namdaemun Market in a day if you want to, as they are all close by.

Only that all the palaces and old houses will look the same to the kids...

I'd recommend visiting Gyungbokgung palace only(because it's the biggest), and then got to Samchungdong, which is really nearby, then Nanta for the kids will be quite bored by the time, and if you(and they) still have the energy, Namdaemun market for shopping.

Edited: 3:15 am, April 02, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
118 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

I live in Metro Manila, so I thought I could provide some insight on some of the places you’re considering (with references from home).

COEX has nothing on our malls – it’s a bit dimly lit and not very fun (for me anyway). It’s kind of like a bigger Robinsons Galleria before they renovated it. I am not sure if you want to make your way here.

Namdaemun is slightly schizophrenic – if you take the subway and exit at Hoehyeon, that part of Namdaemun looks like Divisoria. It’s open at night but not really recommended – unless you just want to pop in quickly to buy souvenirs that are overpriced in other parts of Seoul (keychain-type pasalubong), AND the kids can tolerate the palengke atmosphere. Then there’s that part of Namdaemun that’s bordered by Myeongdong. Might be fun for some, but it’s really mostly Tokyo-type department stores, i.e., a Rustan’s-Greenbelt 4 love-child kind of shopping area, where they only have luxury goods and no kids section in the department stores.

I went to that part of Hangang park where people biked (near Gureum Café, to check out the Banpo Bridge). I didn’t make much effort to find bike rental shops, but I actually didn’t see where the bikes were rented. I think you should look it us so you can surely find bikes to rent, because it’s not really near any alternative places to check out. I also thought the view was so-so: you’re basically biking along a river in a major city, so there’s plenty of asphalt, grass and underpasses.

I only tried the Bugaksan fortress walk, so I’m not sure about how difficult the Suwon one will be, but my tip is to research this carefully. When they said it would take three hours to walk the Bugaksan fortress, they weren’t kidding. I was walking for two and a half hours (I’m a brisk walker). I found it very difficult (sometimes wanting to stop and weep from exhaustion – no kidding). Even if it’s paved and full of steps/stairs, it was super steep in places and it was not like I could just choose to turn back and go home.

I have done the Gyeongbokgung Palace, Samcheongdong and Bukchon Hanok Village thing in a day – with the Palace Museum inside the Gyeongbokgung complex, we were able to sweep this from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM on a weekday. There’s a Folk Museum in here, too, but if you’re going to Lotte World or the Teddy Bear Museum at N Seoul Tower, you can skip it. I believe that if you are unguided, the palaces will not be very interesting, so make sure you make it to an English guided tour or rent the audio guide. Samcheongdong was not as pretty as the pictures in the blogs – maybe because the restaurants were full of office workers and it was hard to find a place to eat (hard to appreciate picturesque neighborhoods on an empty stomach!). I hope you can find a kid-friendly restaurant there (we ate Korean food, and there’s just too much gulay there for a kid’s comfort). The Bukchon Houses tour can be done independently with a map – it’s a lot of walking again, and staring at the walls of other people’s houses. It could be a bummer unless you spend some money to enter some houses. Even that is a bit anti-climactic since you’ll just be looking around someone’s house, and the guide’s English might not be so great. I’m not sure if kids will like this.

Everyone says Everland is nicer – I didn’t go because it was not in Seoul. I went to Lotte World a couple of weeks ago and found that it was better than Enchanted Kingdom but not at the level of Disneyland (in terms of upkeep). It was still okay, though – the scary rides were scary enough to elicit genuine screams from me. The staff was very conscious about checking safety belts and bars, so that was very encouraging. Plus the 40,000 KW adult day pass is only 28,000 KW for foreigners. The kid passes are even cheaper (these are adult prices) so it’s a good incentive. It’s beside a nice mall, too, with the comforts of home (and by that, I mean Krispy Kreme and Starbucks, ha ha ha.)

I went to Changdeokgung unguided – it was pretty but I probably missed out by not going around with a guide and finding out historical details and such. This is near Insadong (which is beside the Bukchon Houses area and within Samcheongdong). I’d go to Insadong – it’s full of cute stuff!

Nanta is super good! If you are going to the Trickeye Museum in Hongdae, it’s a block or two away from the Nanta theater in Hongdae. There are several Nanta theaters – prices vary within a venue and among different venues, so please check which theater location suits you.

N Seoul Tower is not near anything else. I’d allot 2 hours here (including meals – although the restaurants are not that great). That’s not much of a time investment, except if you will queue for the cable cars. Don’t take the cable car if it’s too cold – not pleasant. Plus you will need to walk from the base of the cable car station to get to Myeongdong so take the bus from Chungmuro if the weather is not good. The cabbies there could scam you, too, so don’t take a cab if the driver refuses to use the meter. Be careful here!

And have fun!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

re day 2:

If you take an organised tour you may be stuck with this. I actually don't think it works very well.

Folk Village is ideally done from 12 midday to 4 pm. There's a wedding at 12, so you need to arrive by 11:30, and the arena entertainment finishes at about 4, so you won't leave till 4:30.

For me, this is pretty much a full day, but I would do it by bus from Gangnam- we don't know where you are staying.

As for Gyeongju, I do not see the point in going unless you have a full day there. If you include Bulguk Temple and Seokguram, together with the central areas around Cheomsongdae, there is a very full day. Add in Namsan, Poseokjeong and the other areas, and you'll find yourself rushing around with even a full day plus an arrival day

I must say that I'd scrap day 6 entirely. An aquarium is an aquarium, and the Grand Park is not one of the things Korea offers for any age, in my view.

Philippines
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

Thank you so much for your wonderful advices. I am trying to move our schedule/itinerary around.

Best regards,

VCER

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

Recommend Everland over Lotte.

Been to both on our last trip. Even in freezing cold, my 10 & 7 year old had more fun at Everland. Fireworks & parade at night was fantastic. Lotte in comparison was a big disappointment.

My kids favourite was Nanta at HongDae. As suggested above, you can do the Trickeye museum before the show.

9. Re: Itinerary for 8 full days with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 30, 2014