We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Hour Layover

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
14 Hour Layover

I did a search for other threads with layovers but my circumstance is different from theirs. My flight arrive at 8:50 pm Fri Dec 20, 2013 and the connecting flight is due to leave at Sat Dec 21 at 11am in morning which means I'll be there overnight.

I'm hoping that getting visa will be easy enough and changing cash at airport will be easy enough (I'm not doing the atm thing due to high fees). I'm reading alot about taking bus to Lotte Hotel. Is there an actual sign in english that says "--> This Bus To Lotte Hotel"? Or am I going to have to scrounge around and find someone who speaks english?

I'm aware of the AREX subway. I have seen where it goes on the chart and I can't make heads or tails of it because I am not familiar with any of the stops. Also not sure if construction is complete into downtown Seoul.

I'm assuming many of the suggestions I've read are not open to me because of the late hour. I'd like to do the N Tower thing but by the time I get there it will likely be closer to midnight. What are the chances it will be open by then?

I'm hoping the buses are running well into the night. My plan is to spend a few hours in Seoul, would love to see what Gangnam is all about. I've been listening to that song and it's got me curious. I'm on a pretty tight budget. Would like to experience a decent dinner and maybe some nightlife. I don't dance, might venture inside a club to peek. Also would like to see that street they poured hundreds of millions to renovate.

I do not plan to buy souvenirs. It's the very first stop of a 3 week trip that will take me through Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tokyo. If I start buying stuff here I'll be in big trouble by week 3. There will be some picture taking and videos for the memories.

Will likely be tired from the long trip from Seattle. Plan to be back at Lotte Hotel by perhaps 2 or 3am to take bus back to airport. Once I clear customs and security will either look around airport at the cute tourist displays they have and/or sleep since ICN is rated as one of the best for sleeping. Plan to leave my backpack at the airport and just bring won and camera into Seoul.

Might get massage at airport if it's open that late but it's probably a long shot. If anyone has answers to my questions they are most appreciated! =D

Edited: 7:09 pm, March 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
ZenKimchi Korean Food Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Hour Layover

Also, if anyone has suggestion on how not to get lost that would be appreciated. Will have Samsung Galaxy S smartphone and iPod Touch 5th gen. Will likely bring pre-loaded maps, and hope the GPS function works. I don't want to incur roaming charges so my device will likely be on Airport Mode the entire time. Will just use wi-fi.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Hour Layover

here is one of many links to the airport limousine bus routes.

airport.kr/airport/traffic/bus/busList.iia…

just buy your ticket from the ticket booth which is outside the arrival hall building and find your bus stop and get on the correct bus.

easy process as everything is well signposted in english. upcoming stops are announced well in advance in korean, japanese and english.

am unable to advise hours of operation of these buses late in the night....

note that you do not wish to shop at this stage of your trip but you might like to head to Dongdaemun for a browse at the shopping malls there which open until 5.30 am

Brno
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Hour Layover

Wow, you're really planning ahead! :-) I agree that Dongdaemun would make an excellent diversion just to window shop for a couple hours - don't worry about transportation, and English speaking. I think you'll be surprised in Seoul at how easy it is to get around. According to http://koreamassage.net there is indeed an airport massage that opens at 5am. I think if you combined a shopping experience with a massage before your flight you'll be in good shape!

Enjoy your time, maybe schedule 2-3 days next time in Seoul - it really is something to experience! :-)

Conrad

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Hour Layover

I'm afraid N Seoul Tower closes at 11.00pm.

Be careful, there are not that many late night buses to Incheon Airport, more information on bus times here: www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWork.iia…

If you decide to go to Gangnam, then you don't need to take a bus to the Lotte Hotel. Gangnam is not in the main tourist area north of the river, but a bit further away, south of the river. You can take a limousine bus direct to Gangnam. Admission prices to clubs in Gangnam are pretty expensive, so I'm not sure you'll want to pay for just a peek! I take it the street you want to check out is Garosugil (near Sinsa subway station)? I've never been there at night, so I don't know how lively it is after midnight. There are some busy restaurant/bar areas around Gangnam Station.

Another couple of areas you might want to consider:

Hongdae is a large student area with lots of late night restaurants. shops and bars (you can get here by taking the AREX airport train to Hongik University station. Make sure you take the commuter train, not the express train). A blog I found about Hongdae at night: annieadventures.wordpress.com/tag/hongdae/

Jongno area (a nightlife area near Jonggak subway station). Lots of bars and restaurants and you could also view some outdoor tourist spots such as Cheonggyecheon stream, Gwanghwamun Plaza and Bosingak Bell. A blog entry I found about Jongno area: …xanga.com/744828266/…

To get here, you could take the AREX train to Seoul Station, then take the subway 2 stops to Jonggak.

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Hour Layover

Wow thanks everyone for your great advices. I saw somewhere that the Spa at ICN is open 24 hours a day so now I know about it. Will check out the market and student area. Perhaps will skip Gangnam since it's so far out of the way. Heard bad things about this limo taxi, is it safe to take? I saw some review where people took black taxi and it was super expensive, like $80 for a short ride.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 14 Hour Layover

Limousine bus is a coach, not a taxi.

7. Re: 14 Hour Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 21, 2014