We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monsoon season

new york
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
monsoon season

I'm planning on travelling to Korea on June22-july4th. The only thing that i am worried about is the monsoon season. I hear it will arrive around the time i come. Will it be that bad to go?

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: monsoon season

7th weeks and severe floods already and more storms coming up.

So, don't some of you guys owe me some apologies for unnecessarily having a heated debate and report me to the website to make my lengthy information of Korean Jangma removed?

South Korea
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: monsoon season

I'm not sure what you mean by 7 weeks, the rainy season started in Seoul 11 days ago. I've been keeping track of the rain everyday for June and July. In June we had three days of drizzle - almost no rain at all. In July so far we've had about 9 days of rain. I will post full results August 1st.

The problems in Seoul have to do with engineering not rain.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: monsoon season

hardycard, you already admitted in the past post that you were only talking about the Seoul Area. I was monitoring all the news over Korean Country, and the chosun ilbo said changma-chol was entering its mid 7 weeks today.

So, you can only talk about actual number of actual days but you never count other areas other than Seoul, such as Kangwon County and Pusan. And, if you read the question from the buttafly, he/she was asking about monsoon season in Korea, not just the rainy day count in Seoul.

And the deleted post was the copy of Korean wikipedia of definition of monsoon(jangma), which was deleted by some of you, people. I strongly suggest you go and read what either Jangma or Monsoon means.

Finally, I tell you this. I was in Thailand in just now. They were supposed to be in monsoon for 4 months conventionally, but BKK area only had some showers but Phuket area had some serious rainy days that ruined the vacationers. So, would you say Thailand does not have Monsoon if you only stayed in BKK?

Think about it.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
South Korea
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: monsoon season

The first typhoon approached the peninsula in July. The Korean news reported that Jangma (the rainy season) would begin around the end of June but it did not actually start until the first week in July.

Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: monsoon season

It still doesn't sound like you admit that jangma is indeed monsoon because you don't have to take your umbrella with you everyday when others lose their family members and lose their entire villages from floods and storms down Southern prefectures?

Could you clarify what you have in Korea now is indeed monsoon or not? And, is Korean term, Jangma, indeed Monsoon or not in the scientific sense? and in the definition that you find from any source?

If you read the first question laid on this forum. the person was asking about the rainy season (aka monsoon) and I was answering accordingly, and you and ethelman were the ones who tried to dismiss that there is no serious rainy season in Korea.

Please, go and re-read what was said including your own replies.

Mentioned in this post
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: monsoon season

What is wrong with you?

Go back and read your own posts, which are verging on the offensive!

I NEVER denied there was a monsoon,and my original posts, before you started bickering- were to reassure someone that what they had heard called "monsoon" wasn't that bad.

That was the original question not about "rainy season" aka monsoon- so please do not misrepresent

Clearly you are THE expert on Korea and c/early no-one else can make posts on your country. (!)

If you are a Korean, then you've changed my opinions in one go about reasonableness and politeness of Koreans.

Yes, chang ma exists but it's not "that bad to go".

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
27. Re: monsoon season

We're sorry, but this topic has wandered into non-travel-related subject

matter, so we've closed it to any further posts. To continue this

discussion, TripAdvisor invites you to use our Off-Topic Chatter forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic…

Please note that Off-Topic Chatter is a forum for discussions gone

afield from the topic of travel. The Off-Topic Chatters forum is

un-moderated -- the forum Posting Guidelines are not enforced, with

the exception of hate speech, unauthorized re-prints of copyrighted text,

and messages that promote or encourage illegal activities. Each user

is expected to take responsibility for his or her own conduct.