We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which palace to see while in Seoul? Which to skip?

T D
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Which palace to see while in Seoul? Which to skip?

Hi everyone,

I’m slowly planning our itinerary for our short trip to Seoul in May. We are staying in Myeoungdong area and will be arriving there on a Friday afternoon and leaving Tuesday morning. I noticed, my to-see list has a lot of palaces on it. Which one would you recommened to see if I could pick only 1 or 2? I figured, I don’t need to see 4-5 palaces – since my stay is not that long anyways. Should I combine some of the sightseeings together, so I can see some of them together? Here is the list of things I would like to see:

Jogyesa Temple

Gate Gwanghwamun

Changdeokgung Palace

Gyeongbokgung

Cheonggyecheon

Insadong

Bukchon Hanok Village

Bongeunsa Temple

Deoksugung

DMZ tour (half day probably)

Thanks everyone!

This is KOREA Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Top Korea Tour - Private Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Iamyourguide
Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Color of Korea - Private Day Tours
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,524 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which palace to see while in Seoul? Which to skip?

you've got 3.

I'd go for Changdeok palace but I think you have to do the guided tour, and include biwon. This palace is near Bukchon and Insadong; Insadong leads to Cheongye stream. That would be a good day if you did all those.

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which palace to see while in Seoul? Which to skip?

Gwanghwamun Gate is the main entrance to Gyeongbokgung. Check out the elaborate guard changing ceremony there if you have enough time. I also favor Changdeok palace for its more manageable size and beautiful natural garden (Huwon). However I think Gyeongbokgung has some interesting programs for visitors and Palace Museum (located within palace) is worthwhile to visit. Jogyesa Temple, Cheonggyecheon and Insa-dong are also within walking distance away.

Are you going to Seoul around Budda's birthday (May 17)? You may able to catch colorful lanterns parade...

3. Re: Which palace to see while in Seoul? Which to skip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 15, 2014