We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 hour layover in Seoul

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
11 hour layover in Seoul

What Should I do??!!??

Has anyone taken the train? Should I pay the extra money to have a 12 hour layover in Hong Kong instead of Seoul??

I'll be traveling from Hanoi to Los Angeles, and wanted to make the most out of my long layover options!

Thanks

Seoul, South Korea
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

Assuming you mean ICN (Incheon), 11 hours is plenty of time to escape the airport. Assuming you want to, that is... ICN is a fantastic place to spend time.

ICN is incredibly efficient, the waits are short and moving walkways help you get around quickly. Allow around 30-40 minutes to get out of the airport and about the same to get back in, plus a bit more during rush hours.

ICN is located on reclaimed land west of Incheon city, which is itself far west of Seoul. Incheon is a huge city and there's lots to do there, but Seoul is where you really want to go. It's a 1-2 hour drive from the airport, but now you can skip that and take an express train, which gets you to the city in just 30 minutes.

If it were me, I'd take the Airport Railroad to Hongdae (Hong-ik University, an art school with lots of tiny restaurants and shops run by and/or for students) but for a first visit, maybe you can go straight to Seoul Station.

From Seoul Station, you can go pretty much anywhere in the country. Theoretically, you could even take a bullet train cross-country to Busan and back in just 6 hours.

More practically, Seoul Station is in the middle of old Seoul, so you might have enough time to see a traditional market (Namdaemun Market), a palace (Gyeongbokgung) and maybe either the electronics market at Yongsan or the Korean War Memorial Museum.

Aaron Namba / seoulsurvivalguide.com

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

Take a look at one of the FAQs to the right "What can I do during a long or short layover at Incheon International Airport?" for ideas.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

The layover FAQ is very helpful; I'd like more details on the place to store my bags at the airport while we go in to Seoul via the train. I don't want to take all my carryons for the day and the FAQ mentions a free place to store them.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

Not too sure about the free lockers in the transit areas (before clearing immigration), but you can also store them with Korean Express or Hanjin Express for a small fee (after clearing immigration).

airport.kr/airport/…

Do note if the operating hours are ok with your layover timing.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

Ah, sounds perfect. Looks like $5 to $7 USD for a carryon type bag - I was concerned it might be $50. Many thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

Thanks!

I looked on a korean tourist website and they gave suggestions on taking the dark blue line train tour around the city. There are a few transfers, but it seems like the train system is suppose to be well organized with plenty of signs.

The free storage for bags are located on the 3rd floor gate 25 and 29.

Apparently, from what I have read the express train is only 10 minutes faster and much more expensive.

7. Re: 11 hour layover in Seoul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 22, 2014