We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Tombs

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Royal Tombs

I am planning to visit 1 or 2 royal tombs while I stay in Seoul this summer.

I found a lot of tombs in

…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/CU/CU_EN_8_9_7_1.jsp

Which one is recommended?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,083 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Tombs

to be honest, once you've seen one tomb, you're not going to be surprised by the next one.

If it were me, I'd not look to visit tombs in Seoul, but would go out either to Gongju or better than that, Gyeongju.

Best of all, both to see Baekje and Silla tombs, including from inside

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Tombs

I kind of agree, one should be enough. They are impressive but one should be enough unless you are big into the history of Korea.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Tombs

I have visited 10 Joseon tomb clusters. The best in my opinion?

Donggureung in Guri (Largest tomb cluster, King Taejo 1st King of Joseon)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2024869-d…

Gwangneung in Namyangju (Most beautiful natural location, protected for centuries)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g2024872-d38…

Hongneung in Namyangju (Very different design, Emperor Gojong tomb)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2024872-d…

Heolleung in Seoul (Largest Burial mound, King Taejong)

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294197-d3…

All 4 are easily accessible by bus from Seoul. I have to disagree slightly about the tombs of the Joseon Dynasty, there are slight differences in all Joseon tombs, though there is certaily a strong theme/design element found in all of them. One central exceptional aspect of tomb locations is the site itself, particularly in the beautiful landscape they were chosen to be built in.

It should also be noted that the Joseon Dynasty Tombs are the most complete and longest lasting tomb tradition in the world. I personally find Joseon Tombs equally interesting as many Baekje and Silla tombs. I find it far more satisfying to walk amongst the stone guardian statues and altar of a Joseon tomb than only looking at a huge hill-like Silla mound.

Edited: 6:48 am, January 30, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Tombs

The potential problem of visiting only one tomb cluster is that you may not actually be able to enter the burial mound area. Many tomb locations have now created "viewing areas" which restrict visitors to a certain extent. This is particularly true with Seolleung which is located in Gangnam.

If the tomb is not that busy, often very nice staff may guide you or let you enter the burial mound area, just be polite and respectful. Do not touch the stonework.

There are 3 different tomb clusters in Namyangju. Gwangeung, Hongneung, and Sareung. Visiting all of them would take a bit more than half a day.

For visitors who want to feel authentic historical sites, the Joseon tombs are without a doubt some of the most authentic and best preserved sites in the country. They are not spectacular "wow" attractions, but they are quite interesting to visit, especially if you are given FULL access.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Tombs

Thanks all for these wonderful tips!

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
581 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Tombs

It's kinda late, but I haven't seen anyone planning to visit the tombs so I am very glad to see this posting.

I recommend Gwangneung.

My favorite.

When we were kids, the school would take us to the tombs for field trips.

Back then the tombs were not being looked after like now and we used to climb up the royal tombs. :)

Now they are a UNESCO heritage and now being carefully managed.

Gwangneung is a vast area with a huge arboretum right next to it.

It's a lovely place.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Tombs

Thanks Sookyoung1101!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Tombs

I've been to Donggureung in Guri. Read my travellers article for more info about what it is like here:

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294197-c185954/Se…

Its not easy to get to if you can't speak any Korean - so make sure you have what you need written in Korean just in case you get lost/unsure about the right bus

9. Re: Royal Tombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:52 am, February 19, 2013
10. Re: Royal Tombs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:52 am, February 19, 2013