We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to visit in Seoul

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
places to visit in Seoul

Hi

Will be in Seoul for 4 days next week.

I've prepared an itenerary and would appreciate any comments to it. I'll be staying in Park Hyatt.

Day 1

a) Deoksugung palace (just to take pic along the stone-wall rd

b) Gwanghwamun

c) gyeongbuk-gung palace

d) Insa-dong

e)samcheong-dong

f) Myeong-dong

g) N seoul tower

Day 2

a) nami island

b) Han River cruise

Day 3

a) itaewon

b) Dongdaemun

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to visit in Seoul

You should go to Samcheongdong before Insadong. I'd like to recommend Samcheonggak for lunch (pricey at 50,000 won per person, but worth it). You can also visit Cheonggyecheon on the way from Insadong to Myeongdong (all walking distance). Also, for breakfast, why not do Tosokcheon before hitting Gyeongbokgung? You can also have dinner at Noryangjin Seafood Market after going to Seoul N Tower. Or add it to finish off Day 2.

US
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to visit in Seoul

Cheongdokgung is my favorite palace, as that is where Biwon (the secret garden) is located. Of course, if you go in, it ill take much longer than simply taking a picture of a wall.

In my opinion, your fist day is extremely full. Prioritizing your time here depends on what you prefer to do. Bear in mind that Seoul traffic can be quite bad for a few hours during the morning and afternoon commute, and, although many of the places are not far apart, they will a fair bit of time even with the subway.

I live in Seoul, and quite frankly, would not take visiting family to Itaewon, simply because there is not much to see. I go there for a few favored restaurants, and for books (but there is another shop in Gwanghamun if you need English or another language). There is not a lot for shopping, if you are looking for anything unique. If you want to buy Korean tourist souvenirs, Insadong is much better for that sort of thing, and, in my opinion, more pleasant. Best to visit after 11 am or so, as many shops in Seoul open late.

Samcheongdong is a nice place to walk though, but very expensive to eat in. Not far away, Gwanghamun plaza is certainly worth a look and the plaza itself is very convenient to Gyeongbokgung (palace). These three areas are very convenient to each other.

Of course, Myeongdong is famous for shopping, but not very unique. I do not know your age, but the shops are geared toward young people. You can go here later in the day (than the tower, for example) because shops are open late here.

I second the other poster's recommendation of Cheonggyecheon stream.

The Park Hyatt is considered a very nice hotel, and we plan to stay for our anniversary soon. Please add a review after you stay! It is located close to one of the most expensive, and popular areas of Seoul (Gangnam/Apkujoeng). If you enjoy shopping, walking and window shopping, cafes and jazz and blues music, you will enjoy the area at night. If you enjoy blues, you should check out Just Blues. The owner/main musician is Chae Su Young, a very most famous blues guitarist in Korea (I highly recommend it-I can attest that he is very good). If you enjoy jazz, Once in Blue Moon a is very well known club, and just up the road is a less famous club called Soul to God.

singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to visit in Seoul

Hi mmstyle

thanx for yr reply.

Just back from seoul. Park Hyatt is a fantastic hotel!

It is very beautiful and designed in a very classy style. The staff are very helpful, professional and polite. One perk is that you could use the business centre for free! Isnt that great? The subway station is located right at yr footstep.

They also provide complimentary ride to the city air terminal for you to catch the bus to Incheon airport.

I highly recommend Park Hyatt for yr next visit. Enjoy!

singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to visit in Seoul

hi westinhan

thank you for yr reply.

Will visit seoul again and try out the places that you have mentioned (it was freezing cold that I could not explore much!)

Wonder whether you are a Westin hotels fan? Thinking of staying at Westin Chosun for my next visit. Is it an excellent hotel?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to visit in Seoul

Yes, I am a fan of the Westin chain. I have not stayed at the Westin Chosun Hotel, but every time I go there the hotel staff have been so gracious and kind. The service is excellent.

Because it is an older hotel though, the rooms tend to be smaller.

L.A.
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: places to visit in Seoul

Hello,

Since you leave in Seoul. Can you recommend places to see and visit.

My daughter and I plan to go this summer. We'd like to visit Seoul and Busan.

She is into Korean Pop groups. Do you recommend self-guide or tour guide?

It is convenience to get around via public transportation? Does most people speak English? Thanks.

TEI1668

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to visit in Seoul

This is a list of things to do for first-time visitors:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294197-s409/Seoul:So…

Public transportation in Korea is very cheap, safe, fast, and easy. Most people speak some English, but not very much. They are better at reading and writing, than speaking. Some people will run away because they are embarassed to speak in English. :)

You don't need a guide, but knowing a local will help you get the most out of your trip. Perhaps you could arrange for a Meteor Youth guide? These are college students who want to practice their English and volunteer their services for free.

TV broadcast concerts of Korean pop stars are free to enter. But you need to stand in line for many hours to get in. There are some travel agents that arrange this for a fee (this is considered illegal now though).

8. Re: places to visit in Seoul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 15, 2012