We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

My bf & I intend to travel to Seoul on free & easy trip during Early Autumn. We are unable to converse in Korean. Hence, if we were to travel to Seoul, will it be convenient for us? Heard it may be diffcult for us as many Koreans are unable to converse in English. Can any kind native Koreans advise? Thank you in advance...

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

blossomblossom,

Thank you for the recommendations.

Seems like my itinerary will be full in Seoul =)

Are all the shops at Dongdaemun closed on Monday?

Your suggestion on the stroll & 찜질방 ( Chimjjilbang ) sounds wonderful... I absolutely love experiencing the Korean style of life... Do you know the name of 찜질방 ( Chimjjilbang ) located at Myeondong (in case I lost my way)?

Are there any gd hair salons with reasonable pricing in Seoul located at Myeondong / Dongdaemun / Ehwa?

I also understand Seoul has International Fireworks week.. wonder if it will take place during the few days Im at Seoul?

P/S: Sorry if I am asking too many questions, as Im totally clueless & hope to gather more info. before I travel to Seoul...

Million thanks to blossomblossom =)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Dongdaemun
Hotel Dongdaemun
48 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Trip land
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

Doota open at 19:00 on Monday and close at 5:00, Tuesday-Sat 10:30-5:00, Sunday 10:30-23:00. So you can still go at night to shop at dongdaemun.

Miglorie is off every monday.

if you come out from exit 10 myeondong stn, you can't miss it...

hair saloon aplenty in Ehwa... you just have to go in and ask how much. i prefer Ehwa as its not that expensive ( to me ) as its a student town.

Mentioned in this post
Doota
Doota
141 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

blossomblossom,

Thanks for your recommandation on the guest house & hotel.

I am wondering since a bulk of my itinenary will be on shopping. Is the hotel at Dongdaemun or Myeong Dong area more suitable?

Btw, I understand there are Hanok Stay as well. Can someone recommand any good Hanok stay in Seoul?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Dongdaemun
Hotel Dongdaemun
48 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Hotel Dong Seoul
Hotel Dong Seoul
115 Reviews
Seoul, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

don't worry about it. I have been stayed in seoul for half year and i don't speak korean as well. Korean is nice and express themselves directly in general, they would not be extermely polite like Japanese. But, they are helpful.

The most difficult part is to order food in restaurants. I love to go to restaurants without pictures and english menu, usually it tastes better. Would be nice to bring your travel book with you, so that you could show them the pictures. otherwise, just use your body language and draw some pictures.

15. Re: 1st time to Seoul - is it convenient to travel free & easy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, October 04, 2009