We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

Boston...
12 posts
Save Topic
16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

My husband and I are planning our (long belated!) honeymoon trip to South Korea. It'll be our first time there, and we're very excited. I'm Korean-American and speak enough of the language to get by (though my reading skills are so slow as to be basically useless). We're looking forward to exploring the country's culture, natural beauty, and food, and from some preliminary research have drawn up the follow sketch of an itinerary:

Monday, May 27: Arrive in Seoul at 3pm

Tuesday, May 28: Explore Insadong, Gyeongbokgung

Wednesday, May 29: Suwon and Folk Village

Thursday, May 30: Changdeokgung and Biwon, Markets

Friday, May 31: DMZ

Saturday, June 1: Train to Daegu for bus transfer to Haeinsa (Temple Stay)

Sunday June 2: From Haeinsa back to Daegu. Fly to Jeju

Monday June 3: Jeju

Tuesday, June 4: Jeju

Wednesday, June 5: Jeju, afternoon ferry to Jangheung to stay in Boseong

Thursday, June 6: Explore Boseong, afternoon bus/train to Busan

Friday, June 7: To Gyeongju

Saturday, June 8: To Andong

Sunday, June 9: To Samcheok

Monday, June 10: To Seoraksan, stay in hotel nearby

Tuesday, June 11: Back to Seoul in the morning to catch flight home (out of Incheon at 4:35pm)

My questions are as follows:

1. We initially thought of doing one less day in Seoul, but lots of posts I've read seem to suggest there's a lot to explore there. Is 4 full days too much to devote? Just enough?

2. We wanted to explore the southwestern part of the country, and Boseong sounds like a great place. However, is a trip here (and to this region) worth the time and extra effort (ferry, etc)? We'd probably otherwise spend more time on the northeastern shore or on Jejudo.

3. We're essentially just spending a night in Busan as a stopover before heading to Gyeonju - is this an oversight?

4. Is Andong worth a visit?

I would be grateful for any suggestions/feedback.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

Hi Charlie K

Gyeongbokgung is closed on Tuesdays.

…visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp…

I would say give Samcheok a miss and spend a day more in Sokcho/Seoraksan. There's not much to see in Samcheok, with the more famous sights being the Hwanseongul and the Daegumgul. The two of you may be very tired with all the moving and rushing. Might as well stay a day or two more in Sokcho/Seoraksan and take in the scenery.

Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

I disagree. There's more to Samcheok than a couple of caves. I think this part of the coastline is stunning.

There's the sea train which runs between Gangneung and Samcheok. You can take the ocean rail bike ride, walk around Haesindang Park (aka Penis Park!). Samcheok also has a great beach if the weather's good!

Boston...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

Thank you for the responses! Please keep them coming!

My main concern (that rayevang mentions) is that we may be rushing around and trying to pack in too much. If you feel this is the case, what should we forego?

Boston...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

Thank you for letting me know that it's closed on Tuesdays - I'm quite grateful you caught that!

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

I've been to the Boseung green tea plantation, and it is so breathtakingly beautiful, it was one of the highlight from my Korea trip couple of years ago. My American co-workers told me the green tea I got from there as gift for them is the best tea they ever tasted. One acquaintance saw a photo taken from there, which is the wall paper of my iPhone, and added there on her Korea travel itinerary. Don't forget to try bbq of green tea fed pork belly (samgyeopssal)

Happy planning^^

6. Re: 16 Day Itinerary - any changes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 15, 2014