We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

Dear all,

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Georgia for a whole week in Mid June. My flight will arrive around 2 pm on Friday and will departure at 1 pm next Friday.

I have an option to stay in Tbilisi Friday to Sunday and leave for Batumi on Monday,stay there for 3 nights , back to Batumi on Thursday ,stay 1 night and flight back home on Friday (Tbilisi-Batumi by high speed train).

Or I can stay Friday night in Tbilisi - go to Batumi on next day and stay 3 nights there, come back to Tbilisi and stay 3 nights till Friday.

My problem is I am not sure which would be better, is old town Tbilisi, shopping areas,every other thing open and active in weekends or it would be wiser to stay weekend in Batumi and week days in Tbilisi.Is this 3-3-1 nights the best idea at all?

Any other comments would be very much appreciated.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Tbilisi
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

Hello,

First of all, I can say that everything is working and active in Tbilisi on weekends, unless some of the museums, which does not work on Sundays. If museums not included in your program - it's OK. only the advise is - check the weather, and choose sunny days in Batumi

The other thing is, that much more people are visiting shopping centers on weekends.

Now about train - I would advise night train, because you are not loosing the day in train (high speed train departs 09:50 morning, and arrives to Batumi 15:00 (approximately), while night train leaves 22:45 night and early morning 07:30 you are already in Batumi. Even you are saving hotel fee for 2 nights (to and back); even if you take 1st class, it will cost less than hotel. night train is good option, unless you have an idea to take a look on the environment around railway road, but the road is not much interesting, so that almost once day you can spend visiting Adjarian mountains, Petra castle, botanical garden or any other restricted areas in Adjara.

If you use night train from Batumi to Tbilisi on Thursday, you will have one more full day in Batumi, and from the train station (arriving 07:45 in Tbilisi) go directly to the airport with all you baggage :)

I'm afraid I brought some chaos in your plans :D

Don't hesitate to ask more questions

You are welcome in Georgia

Best,

Tbilisian

Batumi, Georgia
Level Contributor
965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

Some very good advice from Tbilisian, however just one correction. The high speed train now departs from Tbilisi at 11am and arrives in Batumi at 16:30. In my opinion this is a good option as you can see the wonderful Georgian countryside. The tickets cost 26 Lari each way (first class) and can be purchased online at www.railway.ge/?web=0&action=0&lang=eng

C_B in Tbilisi (and Batumi)

On the train is two vending machines for coffee and snacks, but most people take their own

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

Thanks a lot for your very useful advises.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

So just to confirm, is there anything to do in Batumi during weekdays? Mainly, are the clubs open during the week around mid June? or is it better to spend the weekend in Batumi?

Thank you

5. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 18, 2015
New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

TY Malkhaz, but i dont think we would need a dedicated driver / guide, as 3 of us actually speak georgian.

we are looking rent a car and spend time mainly in tbilisi / batumi. i just wanted to know where should we spend the weekend.

also, if you are able to advise on where to rent a fullsize SUV for a week, that would be greatly appreciated.

7. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 18, 2015
New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

thank you very much

9. Re: Weekends or weekdays, when stay in Tbilisi & when in Batumi?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 14, 2015