We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Dear Travellers,

We're now just in the phase of planning, but there are some questions needed to be answered by experts. We would like to spend 7 or 8 days in Georgia, and the first question is about the base cities. Which is better: Tbilisi for a week, or Tbilisi (5 days) & Batumi (2-3 days)? We want to do day trips but also have some lazy days: just strolling in Tbilisi or Batumi. But we would like to see the mountains - Kazbegi, Borjomi, Gori, Mtskheta, maybe Kakheti region, etc. (any further recommendations?). We're thinking about the private driver/public transport problem also: what do you recommend? And for a private driver: what to expect for such day trips?

For Batumi: that's a big question now, because if we would like to spend there a couple of days, should we go by Airzena Georgian Airways to and back or lose full days travelling? Or just drop Batumi and concentrate on Tbilisi base (we can make the trip 6 days long as well)?

So now we're a bit confused on how to plan this trip :-).

And the timing: we should go in July or in October. Which is better? What are the pros and cons at that times?

Thank you very much for all the answers!

Tbilisi, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Tbilisi
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Dear Kucu,

Let's start from the weather - it depends how warm weather you like :)

July is quite warm (or maybe hot) - about 30-36 degrees, sometimes a bit more; October comes down on 20-25 grades. If you would like to spend some time seaside - July is much better. Anyway, it's not too much hot to be bad for travelling, if you do not hate hot weather of course :)

For a base city it's a good idea to stay in Tbilisi for most destinations; again for Batumi - it's better place for lazy days, but flight by Airzena is quite expensive (about 200$ for RT); I would advise to start from Tbilisi, visit Kutaisi (Sataplia, Promete caved, Motsameta etc), overnight there and then continue the trip to Batumi. in this case you will not loose the day in the train.

If you are friendly with the train, even travelling from Tbilisi would not be a bad idea, if you take night train: departs on 11PM daily and early morning you are in Batumi. price is about 15$ for 2nd class, and 25$ for 1st class. Than you can check some of the protected areas around there also (Mtirala National Park, botanical garden, Gonio Castle ect http://gobatumi.com/en/feelit/protected-areas-natural-treasures/mtirala-national-park)

Moreover, is you are flying from Budapest, you can fly by Wizzair to Kutaisi, and I'm pretty sure it will be even cheaper than to Tbilisi. you can overnight there, see some local sights (as I wrote above), and then come to Tbilisi.

Private drive will take approximately 30$ a day, excluding fuel expenses.

For sightseeing tours, maybe it will be better to try some of local travel agencies, but it depends on destination. public transport does not cover sightseeing areas outside Tbilisi.

If you visit Borjomi - my suggestion would be Akhaltsikhe Rabati and Vardzia; maybe even Abastumani for overnight.

Hope my answers will be helpful

Best

Tbilisian

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Welcome to Georgia

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

1st day Batumi

Tour to Botanical garden and Makhuntseti waterfall

2nd day – Breakfast

Free day to relax on the beach

3rd day – Breakfast

Free day

4th day – Breakfast

Transfer to Borjomi

Tour to Akhaltsikhe New Rabath Castle

Walking in Borjomi Park

Overnight in Borjomi

5th day – Breakfast

Tour to Vardzia caves (13th century )

Transfer to Tbilisi via beautiful Paravani lake

6th day – Breakfast

Tbilisi short tour ( 2hours )

Kakheti region – Signagi + bodbe

7th day – Breakfast

Free day

8th day – Breakfast

Transfer to Airport

The best option :) you will have some free time in Batumi and in Tbilisi and you will visit veeery-very nice places in georgia.

I recomend you to hire a car or a driver with a car

regards,Irene

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Thank you very much for all the kind answers, now I have to do some more searching ;-).

If we decide to travel in the beginning of November, is it worthwhile at that time? Kazbegi?

Thanks again!!!

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Yes, first week of November is still ice time to wonder around. But if you would like to visit Batumi - my advise would be only 2 days max. So you can combine with Kazbegi the rest of the free days.

Regards,Irene

Tbilisi, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Tbilisi
Level Contributor
538 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Dear Kucu,

November is a bit cold for travelling, especially to mountains. Still for the beginning of November I would advise to visit Racha with its adorable natural colors <3 (end of November there my be snow even :))

For Kutaisi sights (caves and/or churches) the weather is OK, for Vardzia - it's cold and better to change with Uplistsikhe.

For Kakheti it's OK

Kazbegi is a bit cold, but still OK

Now everything depends whether you are "cold weather" person, or "Hot weather" person ;)

Good luck

Tbilisian

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

Hi Tbilisian, we are visiting Georgia from 29th August 2014 to 15 September 2014. We are renting a car and want to start in Tbilisi then down Tsnori and all towns around this then Mtskheta up to Gori, Khashuri Poti Batumi and then down back to Tbilisi via Akhaltsikhe. Any recommendations as to accommodation? We like the country side, camping etc. Are there any bungalows one can rent in any of the towns?

8. Re: 7-8 days in Georgia - need some help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 26, 2015