We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

appropriate dress

Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
appropriate dress

I'm getting information from an organization here in the U.S. that's sponsoring a meeting in Yangon that, given the nature of local culture, we should "dress conservatively." They suggest that this means men should not wear shorts of short sleeve shirts. I imagine t-shirts would be even worse in their minds.

I can understand the need to dress "respectfully" when visiting temples, for example, but what about the rest of the time? Is a short sleeve shirt really going to be a problem? Is there a difference between plain or "work" shirts that are short sleeved vs., say, a Hawaiian shirt of something a bit more "loud"?

Thanks for your help.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: appropriate dress

For business a short sleeve work shirt,worn inside the trousers, is fine and normal for expat business. You can wear leisure shirts outside of the work place but shorts/T shirts are really for the pool or the beach. For business dinners a lightweight jacket could also be worn.

hope this helps

SS

uk
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: appropriate dress

absolutely, most Myanmar professionals will wear short sleeve shirts in plain colours or stripes, except for very formal occasions. as SS says, wear it tucked in

T shirts and Hawaiian prints could be considered disrespectful.Ditto jeans/trainers.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: appropriate dress

Thanks. To clarify further, is anyone going to be upset or will any conventions be broken if I'm wandering around as a sightseer during my off hours in my jeans and trainers, in a modestly "loud" short sleeve shirt, whether tucked in or--preferably--untucked?

uk
Level Contributor
164 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: appropriate dress

no, not at all, what I said above applies to meetings/conferences etc. Jeans and trainers can be quite hot and sweaty in Myanmar weather, though

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: appropriate dress

you will be fine in shorts and tshirts honestly,nobody minds at all.Ladies need to be covered up(shoulders,knees) in temples,but men are fine in longish shorts and tshirts

Europe
Level Contributor
26 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: appropriate dress

If you are here on business like myself, i think you will notice that you get more respect by dressing correctly. Also investing in a longyi (wrap-style skirt) is both comfy and airy. And gives you a lot of accreditation no matter if you are a male or female wearing it. As a woman i wear airy blouses to meetings. My partner wears shirts, or short sleeve shirts. It is true many tourists wear shorts on sightseeing, but if you want to show respect for the culture you should also dress accordingly. Mosty just burmese kids wear shorts. Being a foreigner myself, not used to the heat, i also found that wide trousers and shirts are just a cooling as wearing shorts.

7. Re: appropriate dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 30, 2015