We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

From what I have read April is a tricky time to be in Myanmar because it's the "Thingyan" water festival holiday time where many locals are on the move . Does anyone know if it is possible to buy train and bus tickets to visit Mandalay , Bagan , Inle Lake etc upon arriving 1 or 2 days before . I have sent emails to some Yangon agents but yet to receive any replies. I'll resend again but in the meantime any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,351 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
1. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:28 am, May 05, 2014
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

Hi, Travelbuzz,

you should travel by flight.It's safe.If you go with Domestic flight,Air Mandalay is safe.I fly with this.

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

Thanks for comments. Looks like only way you can book a flight is through a local agent as the Myanmar airline companies are not setup for online bookings and credit card payments. Budget guesthouses will only take bookings with payment up front through western union money transfer .

So only accomodation prebooking options are with booking.com or Agoda.com I picked a bad time to visit..........

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, May 05, 2014
Nottingham, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

Hi travelbuzz.

I will be in Burma at this time too and am also worried about getting around and booking accommodation. Wish I'd known about the water fest before I booked my flights! I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Did you manage to book accommodation in the end?

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

Thanks for feedback guys. Yesterday I got a suggested 8 day tour quote from Manie Sithu Tours for Yangon >Bagan > Mandalay .

Yangon for $1449 !!. Way too much for my liking. Since found more info from - http://wikitravel.org/en/Myanmar and http://wikitravel.org/en/Yangon. Got a reply finally from a Yangon guesthouse with private air-con rooms for $25 per nite. I have to send $25 thru western union transfer to secure booking for my 2 nites. ----motherlandinn2@gmail.com

They also offer free pick up and drop off from the airport which saves you about $10 each way in a taxi as its' about 30 - 40 minutes drive. Myanmar is going to be a challenge which is half the fun , sometimes , will have to make it up as i go and hope I can get a flight or train or a bus to Mandalay , Bagan and Inle lake which are must see places. I have emailed other guesthouses but only received one reply in past week. When i travelled Europe and Asia in the 80's and 90's, before internet ,you just turned up and did everything as you went and it worked out ok.. Good luck with your research....

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,351 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

I will be in Myanmar during 9-22 Apr... Right through the whole festival... Didn't realize it could be a problem. Guess I need to look at something asap now...

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

The itinerary I was offered was quite substantial but tours for one are invariably more costly than being part of a tour group and sharing the cost. I'm sure things will work out ok. It's just that I have noticed comments like book as early as possible if travelling in April during the water festival. So it may pay to do some forward planning.....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

I picked that time to go cuz I want to celebrate the festival with local ppl... Yeah, I'm going by myself, and I will start from Mandalay and end in Yangon. Hope it will work out:-(

Mentioned in this post
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
10. Re: Has anyone ever travelled in Myanmar during April 10 - 19

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 7:21 am, May 05, 2014