We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
118 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

Unfortunatelly noboy tells the tourists anything, but when we arrived at Kinpun today we found out that the golden rock is totally covered with mats because they renovate it. Every few years the government does this but nobody seems to mind to inform the tourist and or traveller. We spoke to a couple who went there today and after paying the 6 $ they noticed that there was no golden rock....Bizar!

We came all the way from Yangon specially for the rock.

We are really sad and so disappointed. Renovation will take another 2 weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,704 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

This was first mentioned on this forum last week,really bad timing for you.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

Yes, they should let the visitors know when they are booking a trip there. How disappointing. :-(

For others who have a Golden Rock trip planned, there are still other things to do while up there- lovely walks to villages/trekking/exploring the mountain temples/ Bo Baw waterfall, etc.

Here is a trip report if you are adamant on visiting the area, the natural beauty of the place is stunning!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k603…

Edited: 4:55 pm, January 29, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
64 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

It's a shame!

I did a U-turn for my trip there on the 22nd (last week) not because I knew it was under renovation but I was deterred by the massive jam enroute from Yangon!

I was told that the 2-way traffic had become 1 due to a truck being stucked at the bridge; this route is the only passable way to Kyaiktiyo from Bago. Alternative ways suggested - bikes, boat, etc sound too cumbersome for my liking so I decided to abort the trip and spend another 1/2 day at Bago.

Now that I've read this news, it may prove my decision that day was right but I'm no less dissappointed for not seeing the Golden Rock during this trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

The renovation completed on 15th Feb. I knew about the renovation from this forum before my trip, but decided to go ahead. I was very lucky as they just put down the scaffold in the morning the day I arrived, that was 15th Feb. The rock is now shiny and ready for tourists again :-)

melbourne
Level Contributor
58 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

Thank you Jimmy, that is great news, & ahead of time from what i originally read.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

No worries. Should have posted an update earlier, but in Bagan now and the Internet is sometimes very slow. The walk from half way truck stop to the top can be steep and tiring. But the guide and I used the local truck to go all the way to the top. Officially tourists are not allowed to take the local truck, but when we were there, there was no other tourists and would have to wait a long time before they fill up the tourist truck. The truck won't go anywhere unless they can fit in 40 people, 6 person per row!!

Mind you though the road to the top is very steep and can be scary for some. The truck is packed like sardine and you would be struggle to get hold of anything to stay steady.

On the way down I decided to walk. It was fairly easy walk downhill to the half way truck stop and took me less than 30 mins. But had to wait almost 40 mins for them to fill up the truck. They refused to go with one empty seat at the front next to the driver. Some other European tourists got frustrated and paid for the last seat. The front seat costs 5x the price which is 7500 Kyats. So if you want to sit comfortably, you can consider the VIP seat :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
7. Re: Golden Rock under renovation (totally covered)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 19, 2014