We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid phone SIM card

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid phone SIM card

Is it possible to buy the SIM card at the Yangon airport? if so, at what shop?

Is it also possible to buy a data card?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

LOL - data? fortget about it - welcome to the land of dial up speed Internet! I think there are a SIMS around for a few $100's - but I didn't see many using mobiles even in Yangon and Mandalay - so I don't think there is a lot of coverage. Most people still use the non-mobile version of a telephone - you will find them on many street corners

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Hi, my travel agent informed me that I can get a sim card for usd 20 at the airport of yangon. I will take my old mobile along. Arrival on Jan 31st. could tell you more after that date.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Hmm - they weren't selling them in Oct -but things may have changed - Burma is changing fast. What I doubt has changed is that lack of coverage ...

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

I agree that a lot of local people used landlines located in little booths on the streets everywhere. But we also saw a lot of mobile phones being used by locals and tourists, including our horse and cart driver in Bagan. Not sure about where in the international airport you buy the sims though as we flew into Yangon domestic.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Your guide should be able to help you buy a sim card. One of our group brought along his old phone and had no problems with using it once he had the sim card. I don't recall it being very expensive.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Yes you can buy with 20u$ for three months available sim cards including 5u$. For sim with 15u$ for outgoing call. You also can rent data sim card with cheap price at yadanarpon shop at Yangon airport. Now data usage is available and at least you can check mail and reply easily

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

I just got back from Myanmar. Prepaid SIM cards are available at more places than I expected. The business centre at our hotel sold them for 30,000 kyat but the lady was nice enough to whisper that I could get it cheaper outside.

Near to Nawaday Road (streets behind Bogyoke Market) I got a SIM card for 21,500 kyat from a phone repair shop. Then from one of those little shops selling everything (beer, drinks, tissue etc) I got another for my friend for 20,000 kyat.

So there you are. The price should be 20,000 kyat but depending on how desperate you are -- and how plentiful these are in your area -- you may be prepared to pay a bit more :-)

TOP UP

Many people on these forums says the SIM card is for single-use only. But I persisted in asking and in Nyaung Shwe (near Inle Lake) a smart young man running the KKO Internet Cafe topped up another 20,000 kyat for me. So it can be done. To check how much credit you have left on it, *124# will get you the info.

Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Pity that those with the most out of date or incorrect information are often first to post on TA. Its been a while since $100 SIM cards, need to exchange only US$ on the black market, and Foreigners could not withdraw Kyat at the ATM! Next change announced is Credit Card payments in Hotels, shops, etc - coming soon. Things are changing daily here. Pity the laws can't keep up. Incorrect early replies are likely to lead travellers to the wrong answer unless they read all responses. That leads to confusion & anxiety.

I just use a VOIP service or Skype to make voice calls on free WiFi. Calls within Myanmar are usually free at even cheap accommodation. Even my guesthouse in Inle Lake had good download speed compared to the IDSL2+ speed I get at home. Otherwise, major hotels like Traders in Yangon provide 3 hours of high speed WiFi for the cost of a drink. NGO lawyers I met use the lounge as their office, making Skype Video calls. SIM is handy if you need to be contacted by phone.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Dear,

My question might not be relevant but it s related to SIM .

As we might need to call back to our own country during the trip in Yangon, any information about long - distance SIM would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jo

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid phone SIM card

Hi, i did not try to phone abroad -but acc SS it works-I used viber on iPhone and it worked free of charge but other person has to be online !! It's like Skype