We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to eat and what to buy

Indonesia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Place to eat and what to buy

Hai everyone

I will be at Yangon for 4 days. I would like to ask for any recommendations for where to have a great meal,what to buy and where to go for 4 days. Thank you

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

Any local little place. Lots of good street eats too. I have no idea what interests you so I cannot recommend what you should buy. As for me, I buy meters of Mandalay silk at Bogyoke market which I have tailored into longyis that I wear at home. If you have 4 full days then head maybe one day to Golden Rock and see Bago en route.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

@maneki: would like to eat the local food. Is there any Starbucks in Yangon? Thanks for ur fedback

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

Don't know about Starbucks and I doubt any western chains are there yet.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

No Starbucks,tG, you'll be wanting Big Mc next.

Have a look through all the restaurant reviews,toolbar left!

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

No western chains when were there in June. I was surprised though that at all the hotels we stayed at there was percolated and good coffee. I'd read before the trip that instant coffee which I hate was the norm. In Bagan there was even a coffee bar at our hotel!

For local food in Yangoon try Feel Myanmar - both locals & expats eat there and it's got a good atmosphere. Like an outdoor Singapore Hawker market. We found Monsoons expensive and cooked for tourist - pretty bland but good service

Regards

Suzi

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

Journey 08, You are joking about the "local food" and starbucks comment right?

Had a really excellent meal of local food at tea shop HLA Shwe Ba near the Shedagon Pagoda.

Monsoon is fine if you are looking for an upscale dining place. And the shop next door on the third floor, Pomelo, is run by mostly volunteers and features great local products made by local cooperatives and disabled Burmese. www.PomeloYangon.com

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

Also, check out Green Elephant for upscale dining and shopping.

Chicago, Illinois...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

Carriage Cafe at Grand Mee Ya Htar Hotel sells Starbucks coffee! Check it out.

Wellington
Level Contributor
497 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

I second Feel, and if you are less adventurous, Monsoon, plus the rice pancakes and samosas the street hawkers make, and there was a good mohinga place by Sule Pagoda near City Hall I liked. Also Bar Boon Dutch Deli and Espresso Bar in Bogyoke Aung San Rd - better wifi than my hotel, really good coffee and a nice terrace to sit and watch the world go past and shelter from the downpours.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to eat and what to buy

You can go Bago or Golden Rock on day trip. If you want to try good authentic Myanmar food, try at Feel Myanmar restaurant. But, Yangon is full of many good restaurants too.

Thant

Get answers to your questions about Yangon (Rangoon)