We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangon airport to downtown

Hongkong
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Yangon airport to downtown

How much will it be for a taxi ride? Is there any shuttle bus or public bus route connecting?

98 replies to this topic
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

The taxis are right outside arrivals. It's a bit of a scrum the last few yards though, and unless you are happy for a trolley-boy to carry your suitcase for about 10 yards and charge you for the privilege, then keep hold of all your belongings.

Regarding the airport taxis, our driver was an excellent bloke, and we got chatting from the minute we set off. We ended up hiring him and his taxi for a two week tour to Bagan, Mandalay, Pwu oo lin, Kalaw, Inle, and back to Yangon. Cost US$800 (check my old threads for info), and we had a great time. Before booking him for 2 weeks we used him for a day trip around the places around Yangon, just to see whether he was as good as his words. He was!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

Reference my last posting. Here's the notes I made about our airport taxi on arrival, which a few days later became our transport for a wonderful tour of a wonderful country...

'...Our driver/guide spoke excellent English. He had a physics degree, but earned more as a driver. Our safety, comfort and welfare were his top priority. He was an excellent defensive driver.

It’s worth mentioning that driving standards in Myanmar vary a lot, a hell of a lot! Driving is on the right-hand side of the road, and most cars are also right-hand drive! Many cars are bashed-up Japanese second-hand exports. Newer left-hand drive vehicles are Government, Military or Diplomatic. 2-stroke mopeds are everywhere (except Yangon), and come at you from all directions, often with 4 or 5 people onboard, or maybe even a stunned pig strapped to the back. Much of the traffic you’ll encounter on your adventures are either wide carts pulled by bullocks, or over-laden lorries. Overtaking usually comes with a risk. Although the condition of the roads are generally poor with many pot-holes, the verges are usually flat(ish) and wide, which allows plenty of room to manoeuvre. Cars/lorries and buses have a cute way of indicating that the road ahead is clear to overtake. I won’t spoil it for you, other than to say the system works! Dust is also something to consider. Take surgical masks.

Before we hired our driver for 2 weeks we used him for one day touring round the sights outside Yangon. He was very safe, which gave us the confidence to invest in his services for 2 weeks.

How did we find the driver? He was our taxi driver on arrival at Yangon airport. On our drive to the Summit Parkview Hotel he asked us what our plans were for our stay, and it went from there. Dead easy really. We had previously thought about trains, buses and planes. But I’m glad we chose our own transport. He wanted to know where we wanted to visit, and he organised all the details. If we wanted to we could change our itinerary as we went along. We took advantage of that in Mandalay, by only stopping there a couple of nights and adding Pyin u Lwin to our adventure.

Our total trip took us to Taungoo, for an overnight stop. Bagan (3 nights), Mandalay (2 nights), Pyin u Lwin (3 nights), Kalaw (1 night), Inle Lake (3 nights), Kalaw (1 night), and our last night on the road at Taungoo. We covered 2,500 Kms, which doesn’t sound a lot, but you feel every bump along the way as you criss-cross from one side of the road to the other avoiding the holes!

Our driver was excellent company, and he now speaks with a Lancashire accent!

What would we change if we did the trip again? I think I’d want a bit more say with our hotels, and have my choices fixed before the adventure got under way. I’m not saying there was anything particularly wrong with his choices though. I’d miss out a few of the smaller temples in Bagan, in fact why go to Bagan again, there’s so much more to see in that wonderful country!'

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

there has bus but with luggage and to arrive to yr hotel directly

it will be more convenient for u with Taxi

Taxi will cost u 5000-7000 ks one way to Down town

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

Unless they've changed recently the airport taxis are run by Golden Swallow Transport, who are (I think) a satellite to www.exoticmyanmartravel.com.

We discussed our Myanmar tour itinerary, and paid for our trip at the downtown office of Exotic Myanmar. There office was very busy, so they obviously deal with a lot of Myanmar tourism.

The US$800 cost for 2 weeks included the vehicle, the driver, his extensive knowledge of Myanmar, fuel, road-tolls (lots of them), the driver's accommodation and meals. Payment for our hotels, meals etc were our own responsibility.

I suppose reading all this I've gone off-topic a bit. But the important thing is that the airport taxis are safe and reliable, and if you haven't finalised your schedule for getting round Myanmar, then the airport taxi drivers aren't a bad option.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
87 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

"We discussed our Myanmar tour itinerary, and paid for our trip at the downtown office of Exotic Myanmar."

I am getting quotes and information from several agencies right now, including Exotic, for a 17-day visit in November. Would you mind giving some feedback, good or bad, on their performance please?

Any other tips on places to see outside the standard Yangon/Bagan/Mandalay/Inle route would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

New Zealand
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

Dont suppose you have an email address for your guide/drive that you had for your two weeks in Myanmar. He sounded wonderful and we would like to do pretty much the same trip. Cheers

Hongkong
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

If you are on trip for two weeks, you may use hotels' internet facilities. As you meet your guide everyday, you need not bother his email address. The airport is near downtown. If you don't mind the very old bus, you may walk straight to the main road. It is cheap, 3000K only.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

Email to book for airport transfer in Yangon at yangonshuttle@gmail.com.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

No need to prebok taxis-there are plenty there and you can book on arrival at the taxi booth just outside arrivals. Even with a full TG flight we were in our (modern by Yangon taxi) white City cab in 2 minutes.

SS

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Yangon airport to downtown

The fee is fixed but not metered, its $10 us per vehicle.

Reply to: Yangon airport to downtown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted