We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for good restaurants

munich
6 posts
Save Topic
looking for good restaurants

We'll be visiting Yangon next March and we are looking for some good restaurants with traditional burmese food. Who can help us ?

Greetings from Bavaria

Simone and Alex

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Seeds  Restaurant & Lounge
$$$$, International, European, Central European
Mahlzeit Restaurant
$$ - $$$, German, European, Gastropub
Yangon
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for good restaurants

As I saw no replies here I would love to write some recommendations for you so that you can take 'em into your consideration. Maybe your easy reference in hand by now!

Restaurants Yangon: There is a great list at the link for all myanmar restaurants directory;- myanmars.net/myanmar-restaurants/myanmar-res…

My recommendation goes to;-

1) Monsoon Restaurant & Bar (choices of Myanmar and INDOCHINA cuisine)

85-87, Thein Byu Road, Botahtaung, Yangon

( 295224

2) Green Elephant Restaurant (the famous one)

No. 519 (A), Pyay Road, Thirimingalar Lane

(Attia/Augustine Road), Kamayut Tsp.,

Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)

Tel: (+95-1)535231, 720375

3) Pan Swel Taw Cafe & Restaurant (this is a bit typical)

No. 228, Ahlone Road, Ahlone Township,

Yangon, Myanmar.

Tel: (095-9) 51 15318

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Monsoon Restaurant
Monsoon Restaurant
1,338 Reviews
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
136 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for good restaurants

Green Elephant was good, although a bit pricey. Service was outstanding. I preferred Sandy's Lakeview Restaurant on Kandawgwi Lake and the best for me was the Junior Duck Restaurant. I don't know the addresses but the taxi drivers knew how to get there.

yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for good restaurants

Green Elephant , Sandy are most tourist prefer place .It is not really a traditional Burmese food but change a bit to suit the foreigner. Both are recommended.

If you really want to try what Burmese eat at lunch , try at local shop "Danuphyu Daw Saw Yee" reasonable clean and quite crowded.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for good restaurants

I also like Sandy's Myanmar Cuisine and Monsoon very much. Pandonmar is also a very good restaurant. For more traditional, and inexpensive, Burmese (Bamar) meals you might try Feel 3 or Aung Thukka. A visit to a local teashop that serves meals (noodle and rice dishes) is also recommended. I like Morning Star, near Upper Pansodan Road, past Aung San Stadium.

Mentioned in this post
Monsoon Restaurant
Monsoon Restaurant
1,338 Reviews
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
5. Re: looking for good restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Yangon (Rangoon)