We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to stay for 1-3 months

j n
HKG
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to stay for 1-3 months

I've been to Myanmar twice, both times less than 14 days which is what my Asean passport allows. I would like to stay longer on my third trip and find small place to rent maybe in Yangon or somewhere nearby that is less busy. I'm in my early stages of research and I have some questions.

As far as I know, you can get an extension visa in Yangon for 1-3 months. There is an FRC if you want to stay longer but it costs quite a lot. I don't know if this is up to date and what the requirements are for the first one. Do I just show up with my passport, are there other documents required, will they check my tickets or make sure I have enough money for the stay, that sort of thing.

If I go ahead as planned, I would like to purchase a return ticket beforehand and I need to know if there is a chance I will be turned down buy the issuing authority.

Secondly, is it easy for a foreigner to find a place to rent for 1-3 months in Yangon or outside Yangon? What kind of prices can I expect? I'm not looking for anything fancy, a small room with a private bath and a fan and I will be good. I'd like to avoid expat places as they are generally overpriced and poor value.

I know there are probably forums that can provide more detailed info, but as I said I am in the early stages and I've gotten good information from here in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
5 replies to this topic
Yangon (Rangoon...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to stay for 1-3 months

As far as I know, tourist visa is not allowed to extend. 28 days is maximum. If you over stay you have to pay US$3/ day as penalty. You have to pay at the immigration counter on your departure.

I have never heard any tourist who over stay up to 3 months. Then tourists are allowed to stay only at registered guesthouses or hotels.

I would recommend to get Social Visa or Business Visa.

So you can stay up to 3 months and allowed to rent and stay at an apartment.

Level Contributor
455 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to stay for 1-3 months

“Secondly, is it easy for a foreigner to find a place to rent for 1-3 months in Yangon or outside Yangon?”

Yes, hotels are best option, IMO if you are staying less than 6 months. And surely you can negotiate the price and complimentary breakfast included in most of the hotels.

Landlords in Yangon tend to prefer to have a long term (annual) contract rent because they mandatorily have to report (the guests) to the local authorities. A friend of mine rented a flat, to foreigners, has two bedrooms, one bath, living room+kitchen got roughly $800 per month with a annually contract. The location is north of Pansodan Rd., near a central train station, just give you an idea.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to stay for 1-3 months

as an asean member u get a free 14 day visa exempt; u can also BUY a 28 day visa online $50 :

overstays are $3 .day BUT as u need show ur passport when u check into a hotel they most likely wont let u check in if ur on overstay..after 28 days head to a land boarder with Thailand, in and out...

business visa is 70 days

i seriously doubt anyone will rent u a room anywhere in the country...

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
353 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to stay for 1-3 months

For both, FRC, and rent an apartment, you'll need to have a business Visa (70 days) ... On the facebook group "Yangon connection" (and sub-groups) there's many people (expats) sub-letting their apartments for a few months, while they're away, sometimes nice ones for as cheap as 250 US$/month ...

Honestly I don't think you'll need an FRC ... Overstay of tourist Visa is not a problem anymore nowadays, also not for checking in in most guesthouses - just let them know in advance ... Many also offer reasonable long-term rates, that's probably the best option for you!

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
353 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to stay for 1-3 months

Forgot - to apply for a business Visa, you'll need to have an Invitation letter/proof of employment - from a Myanmar company or organisation, which might be tricky to obtain if you're not actually working there .. There's a few agencies that will get you one - but for a very high fee (several 100 US$) - so, not really worth it

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Looking to stay for 1-3 months
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted