We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Hi there

Planning our trip to Myanmar next February and want to travel from Bagan to Inle Lake - at the moment we are thinking of getting the overnight bus we have heard about on the Saturday night, but wondered if people had experiences of using it?

We have travelled a night bus in Vietnam and found it to be fine (a slightly hairraising point in the night where I swear we nearly went off a cliff!) but was a good way of getting from A to B and saving time/money on hotel.

We're trying to minimise the amount of flying internally so ideally bus or train - we could do a day bus if people swore by it, but it would change our itinerary somewhat.

Many thanks

Wellington
Level Contributor
495 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

I did the day bus Bagan-Inle a couple of weeks ago in heavy rain and I relate to the point about worrying about going off a cliff! I also did a night bus (VIP) Inle to Rangoon - it was very comfortable, big luxurious seats and I slept the whole way. The Bagan-Inle day bus I took was a lot older, very crowded and not very comfortable. If you are intending to get a nights sleep on the bus, maybe check out that it is a better class of bus than the day bus.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Hi,

Bagan to Inle Lake night bus run everyday.

That is express bus, Fare is 12,000 ks from Bagan to Inle Lake.

Departure ---> 7 PM ------ Arrival ---> 5 AM

Also you can try at Highway Station in Bagan.

If you can go back to Yangon, there is a V.I.P bus.

Fare is 18,000 ks from Inle Lake to Yangon

Departure ---> 5 PM ------ Arrival ---> 3 AM

You can buy these bus tickets from government official local agents. Don't buy broker agents on roads.

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Thanks - do you know what the night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake is like? Are there sleeper beds, toilet etc? Roughly how many people do they fit, and they do regularly 'sell out'? Would it be best to book in advance?

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

I found this blog - its from 2010, but describes the bus as pretty horrendous. Anyone been in the last year who can say whether its still like this or not? legalnomads.com/2010/…comments

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Hi Lottie, did you end up taking the bus from Bagan to Inle? How was it?

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

I just took a bus from Bagan to Inle yesterday. When I boarded the bus (large AC bus) they passed out black plastic bags. I couldn't figure out what it was for until a few hours into the trip when people started vomiting into the bags and tossing them out the window onto the road. The AC was very weak so the bus was hot. They finally just turned it off and opened the windows. I was on the sunny side the whole time so the sun was beating down on me for the entire ride. I could close the curtain but the sun was still very hot. It was miserable.

The roads are very bumpy and winding and pretty much around the 2:00 mark I felt ill the whole way. After we got to the mountains the ride took on a whole new level of hellishness with the bus tires literally screeching around corners on cliff faces with no guard rails. The bus took out a giant metal barrel on one turn and hit a metal post at a construction zone on another part of the road. At one point we blew a tire and drove on for 30 minutes until they finally decided to go out and fix it so we stood on the side of the road while the bus occupants peed in the bushes while they fixed it. To be honest I was so glad to just have a break from the roller coaster.

Perhaps I'm weak, but after 7:00 of this grueling ride I got out early at Kalaw just so I wouldn't have to endure anymore. I'm taking the train today from Kalaw the rest of the way.

I've heard the VIP busses are very comfortable on other routes, so perhaps the bus I was on was just bad, but if that ride had been at night without being able to see outside being tossed to and fro I think I certainly would have been vomiting into a bag and tossing it out the window like the rest of them.

I vowed to never take a Burma bus again but faced with the prospect of flying an airline without international safety standards and on the US black list because they are owned by drug lords I think I'll try the VIP bus from Inle to Yangon in a few days.

Has anyone experience something like this on the Inle to Yangon route or is the Bagan-Inle route a special kind of hell?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Took the day bus from Bagan to Inle lake. Never again. FLY!!!!!!. The roads were narrow and all you did was ascend into the mountain. Its a long way down. I was on tenterhooks during the whole trip.If you can sleep on night buses, take the bus. The good thing you can't see down below at night. We flew from Inle lake to Yangon it was first class flight for $100 on Mann Yadanarpon Airways. The service on this flight was excellent. There are day and night buses about 12 hours to Yangon from Inle lake. Buses from Bagan to Inle Lake start around $10 and there are day and night bus.

London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

I remember in Feb 2014 it was a bit of a nightmare journey but this was because the bus broke down half way and we had to wait 4 hrs for a replacement... Which then broke down itself after Kalaw! In total I think we were travelling for about 14 hours. I can laugh about it now and was part of the experience but around 8pm I was in hysterics! I hadn't eaten since breakfast and had an upset stomach also! It may have been a supposed vip bus as it was airconned but a bunch of Burmese people got on at various points and sat on stalls in the aisle. For 10 dollars you can't really complain! I enjoyed it until the bus broke down and liked the mountain scenery

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

A few years ago all the buses broke down and puncture repairs were replaced with bald tyres etc now the day bus direct Bagn to Inle lake goes direct to Naungshwe and is a luxury day bus the old smaller buses had no aircon and jammed full but as said an experience. The overnight buses from Inle to Yangon nowadays are a lot better and I always catch the buses from Kalow it means 3 hrs less on the same bus and also send day in Kalow good food and not sitting on dusty dirt road at the shweaung junction waiting for your delayed bus

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Experience of night bus from Bagan to Inle Lake?

Hi,

You can take from Bagan to Inle by bus. It will take about 10 hours. Now the roads are fine. Now not only 45 seater bus, also other small buses go to inle. Better buy ticket in advance.

happy!