We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go

Houston, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to go

I am planning to travel to SE Asia on a limited budget with a friend and have to pick a country to go to. I am between Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam. It would be from July 25-30 of this year (only 6 days). We would like to visit a country where we can travel to various rural towns yet we would not like very touristy places in order to get to know the more traditional culture of the country.

What country and places in that country would you recommend?

We have also considered renting motorcycles yet we've never ridden before. Is that too crazy?

Thanks

Andres

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
807 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go

First of all, in terms of budget, Thailand and Cambodia are cheaper than Laos and Myanmar. Amongst these destinations, Thai offers the plentiful chance to enjoy different activities.

For only 6 days, probably you can head to Chiang Mai thailand, enjoy the motorcylce tour like you wish.

If you have a little more time, get the ride from Chiang Mai to Golden Triangle and enter Myanmar ( about 8 days). This part is really amazing and adventurous with very few tourist.

Personally, if you I have to choose 1 country for budget, activities like yours, I would take Thailand.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go

Officially,motor bike rental is forbidden to foreigners in Myanmar and I am sure if you managed to illegally rent one up country it would invalidate your travel insurance.

SS

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
807 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go

Check out the Thai motorcyle tour with this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293917-…

For motorbikes inside Myanmar, this is the reference with some trip reports:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k5…

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go

I travel to those countries at least once a year (only been to Mynamr twice though) and can suggest either Laos or Cambodia for relative ease of travel and low cost. Hotels in Myanmar are triple what you'd pay for similar quality in Laos & Cambodia.

Considering your short travel time, I'd personally recommend Cambodia- 3 days in Siem Reap seeing the temples & 2 in Phnom Penh seeing the sights & shopping at the markets. (You will need one day for travel time so I've incuded that). I'd save Thailand and Myanmar for different trips when you can afford 2 weeks to travel, there is so much ot see & do in those destinations and the countries are really spread out.

Brooktondale
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go

I would also recommend Cambodia. You can get your visa on arrival for $20 and there are plenty of smaller less touristy towns with minor attractions and decent hotels.However I can't recommend going to Cambodia without recommending Angkor. If you like ruins even a little bit you'll love the place. Imo it's the #1 attraction in SE Asia...but of course, very touristy. You could fly into Siem Reap spend a couple full days at the ruins, take the boat to Battambang and hang for a couple days then bus back to SR and fly out. If you're not into ruins then fly into Phnom Penh, spend a couple days then bus to 1 of several small, less touristy towns for a couple days. With only 6 days you won't have time to visit many places.

6. Re: Where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 14, 2014